x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

new user with email frustrations using 900C

mad mike Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 11:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok, i cut my teeth way back on the little psions ... i had lots of fun, then moved to an HP620 for a number of years, but i haven't had to use a handheld for a long time, and now that i need to, i've stumbled on to the pro900C and so far i like it a lot...

struggled a bit to get the wireless going, but i'm rusty, i know used to all the plug 'n play these days, and not having to think a whole lot...

anyway, now i'm on line, and i'm not really satisfied with the verison of IE i have here, but i've not found an alternative... i used to use one called opera on the psions, but can't find a version for this unit, seems they're all for phones now...

the email is really frustrating me...

when i try to use outlook, well, it goes thru the motions, but comes bak with the argument that there is a problem with the return address... whats with that? i've gone over and over it, i'm puzzled...

the online emails just won't accept my login, or if they do, because of the lack of java, i think, i can't do anything!!!

i've tried gmail, yahoo, and hotmail... all of which i have accounts on for years...

so, steer me the right way to a tutorial or something? i'm not really dense, guys! just rusty i've been out of the loop for quite a while, and i've forgotten a whole lot of stuff, i'm sure!

thanks!
 Top of the page
mad mike Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok, i found that editing IE parameters in the registry to smartphone has helped on hotmail... thats the only one i've tried so far... but so far, so good...

any suggestions? will be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 1:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Two different issues here: You can use Opera on the 900C...as a matter of fact, Opera is one of the finest web browsers for the 900C. Go to Opera.com, click on Opera Mobile links, then download. It will take you to a download page that has older versions of Opera available. Chose the Opera 8.6 for Windows Mobile 2003. That will work fine on the Mobilepro.

As far as the email...does your ISP support SMTP/POP3? If so, then the built in mail program works fine, but there are others such as QMail http://q3.snak.org/en/old.html and nPOP http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html These will support authenticated email handling and have a few more options as well.

I use a program called Profimail http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail that I just love due to its clean screen appearance, file attachment ease of use, and the fact that it works easily with any POP3/SMTP or IMAP mail handlers. Plus it has a lot of built in viewers for emails with Word Doc attachments, graphics, and a lot more. Not a freebie like the others, but worth the cost to me.

See old forum post here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12959&posts=2&highlight=profimail&highlightmode=1#M120975

Rich
 Top of the page
mad mike Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 2:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

gmail doesnt work, any ideas? i dont much like the phone style browser... i'd use a phone if i did!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 3:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Either look on here for redgear (it will allow 8.65 to run).

Or look for cmonex V2 900c rom. It will add lots of software and unless I am mistaken will also allow opera 8.65 to run.

For email I like using an email client. Try either Qmail3 or NpopUK both of which can be made to work with secure POP email - again info required for apps should be on here and can be found with a search.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
mad mike Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 8:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

looking at the 2 suggested, redgear and cmonex v2 900c rom, i believe these entail a rom flash... which with my luck would turn my toy into a brick

can you point me to a tutorial for that on the 900c? i've looked thru this place, but can't find it...

which is the easier install? i think i saw the redgear had a price and so did the 8.65... i'm not broke, but just badly bent as many are in these times ...

thanks for helping me...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 9:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

RedGear is just a simple installation - no reflashing is required. As for reflashing, you're right to be cautious - it's critical to make sure you have the right bootloader version before doing the reflash. cmonex covers all the details on her site:

http://www.hpcmonex.net/

Look for the link to the 900C pages. (I was able to upgrade the bootloader and then reflash the custom ROM, both without a hitch, by following her instructions there. And, my broad Windows CE device collection notwithstanding, I'm a major amateur at this stuff. )
 Top of the page
mad mike Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

i didn't know people collected these units... i've 2 hp620s here and one loaned out, a psion, a diamond mako, and i found a hp 720 i'd forgotten i had, i bought it at auction on ebay and the touch screen wasn't working... the guy wouldn't do anything, so i ate the loss... and never used it... now i have this nec hpc 900C... it seems like a monstrous size to me... but only half the size of the compaq armada i've been lugging around...

i'll look again at the redgear... but i'm getting used to the phone view and its not so bad... but some pages i need still jam up for some reason... i imagine its a script running badly... i don't know what to do about that on this...

thanks for your help! i'm sure i'll be back i've spent most of the day on this unit trying to get it set up so i can use it on the road... since i'm back on it now... darned depression we're in

bye
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-03 3:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I know what you mean about rom flash...

But the cmonex rom adds so much extra software into the rom it really is worth looking at (think it also has NpopUk in it). Also means if most of the apps you will likely want are in the rom and you don't need to use lots of ram installing files (even if you install to CF some files still go into the internal ram.

The coredll and aygshell etc are also beefed up with extra functionality that allows more PPC and WM software to run on the 900c once the V2 rom is installed.

John
 Top of the page
mad mike Page Icon Posted 2009-03-03 1:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

the first stab at this posting disappeared... i don't know what happened to it, so if it shows up, i'm certainly sorry to double post...

anyway, i paid for redgear, received my certificate and downloaded it successfully, i think... however, when i attempt extraction, i receive an error message that the very first .cab file is corrupt, i forget its name.... anyway, i've tried it with 2 different versions of winzip thinking that the one on my wife's laptop was too old, the second, on my desktop is nearly new... well, last august's version... the lap has winxp pro and the desktop has vista home...

noone's at home over at the redgear headquarters to respond to my inquiries, and i'm eager to get on with it, so i thought i'd drop a note here and see if anyone has any suggestions for me... i can't imagine i'm doing anything wrong... there were several downloads on the same page, that i think i'm eligible for, but they didn't seem to be connected to redgear... so i din't download any of them... maybe i should have?

thanks!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-03 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Just need the redgear download and it is the one under CE.net 4.2 heading.

cab is meant to be run directly on 900c and accept the default install location. Never had a problem if it is a zip I used winrar to extract it.

John

Edited by mr-mac 2009-03-03 2:32 PM
 Top of the page
mad mike Page Icon Posted 2009-03-04 10:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

i did receive a message with that information, from the redgear people so they were listening, afterall... i'm glad of that, so many don't care after they make the sale.

anyway, my unit seems to go nuts after i install it... several applications that i've been using suddenly start telling me they aren't suitable for CE ????

i did a full reset and reinstalled my backup, so i'm to where i am on-line, at least...

i'm not sure what's going on... i purchased the unit 2nd hand, and i bought a package from ebay to get the pccard and some other stuff i din't have, there was a CD that contained a custom setup from these people, mike & marcia, i think they're called... and it had the card ready to go, so i used it... perhaps there's something in that to conflict with redgear? but i'm too green on this thing to know what to look for!

i'm not really all that dense, guys... its just that i'm so darned new on this thing, its making me look like a fool :(

see y'all!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-04 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Not seen anyone else reporting software that did work..

You sure there isn't already a custom rom in it. Alternatively with redgear installed you can turn on and off from redgear in startmenu.

I would maybe try hard re-set then install redgear (as it will change device ID) then install backup.

John
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-04 5:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

mad mike - 2009-03-04 7:31 AM
i'm not sure what's going on... i purchased the unit 2nd hand, and i bought a package from ebay to get the pccard and some other stuff i din't have, there was a CD that contained a custom setup from these people, mike & marcia, i think they're called... and it had the card ready to go, so i used it... perhaps there's something in that to conflict with redgear? but i'm too green on this thing to know what to look for!

That's my1990 (also a member of this site). They may not yet be familiar with RedGear. Contact them via eBay and tell them you have RedGear, and ask if they are familiar with it. They're pretty good about iresponding to buyers with issues. (They came to my rescue when I had an issue with the RAM upgrade they sold me for my NEC 790.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-08 8:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

note you can use the opera mobile, not the mini version, mobile has a proper desktop view option for page rendering, so it is not a "phone browser". you can also change useragent.
opera mobile 8.60 will work on my rom, 8.65 will work with redgear. however, if you have my rom, redgear won't work well on it, so please check the current firmware version on the device: start menu (or Win+C)/control panel/nec firmware info applet. copy the info to this thread from it so we can see it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10