x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-06 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

PocketDVD - 2005-06-07 1:14 AM

I'm gonna get flamed, but if you are already thinking about replacing your phone, why not get a SmartPhone?

find one that accepts memory cards and has bluetooth, and get an additional keyboard with it

wouldn't the additional keyboard be too awkward&incomfortable at the bar? that's why i won't get one. and anyway a smartphone's abilities are limited in some areas arent they?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-06 9:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What I want to know is with all these picture phones out there, why doesn't someone have a regular desktop telephone that they could use at their house to view pictures sent from a smartphone?

Rich
 Top of the page
pro_01
pro_01 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 5:18 AM
#
PocketDVD - 2005-06-06 7:14 PM
I'm gonna get flamed, but if you are already thinking about replacing your phone, why not get a SmartPhone?

find one that accepts memory cards and has bluetooth, and get an additional keyboard with it.

because as i said, i need to type at various places. i was thinking about getting the newest communicator or SE 910i, but i found the first does not have a touchscreen - they could have added at least that for such a price (almost identical to the webbook and smartbook prices) and for the business class in which it's supposed to be, and the second is as inconvenient for my case as a pocketpc. sure i can get retractable keyboard and stuff, but i will still have to carry it in my pocket and expand it when i decide to do some typing. and i am not quite sure it will be an easy and pleasant process while trying to type something in the middle of a traffic jam for example. while the hpcs offer just what i need in a compact case. i got the nokia primarily with that idea, but then typing on it turned to be quite an awkward process.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 5:44 AM
#
I'm a 728 user and found it to be quite a usable companion with my Psion Netbook (EPOC, NOT CE.NET). It basically follows me everywhere, and gets used quite a bit ever since my Netbook went down a month ago. Anyway, here are my thoughts of the 728.

1. Keyboard is bearable, it's usable for touch typing but is nowhere as comforable as the keyboard on my Netbook. But that goes for most lapopts anyway, the Netbook is just superb in this area.

2. 64MB of RAM = Performance. Prior to the 728, I had a 720 for a short while, but it was much too slow for my liking. I found the screen especially insensitive which really was a major problem because HPC requires the use of the touchscreen, keyboard shortcuts are not standardised and are too many to remember.

3. 64MB of RAM = Stability - No way getting around the fact that Win CE needs a lot of memory. Having more memory made my 728 a stable machine, I've not had a hard reset for months now, though soft resets are still required on a daily basis.

4. Screen - DSTN, not shapr, but colors are vibrant and obviously much better than my Netbook (256 color).

5. Multimedia - Expect ghosting when watching videos, though this can be reduced somewhat by using the right encoding settings. Must have: PocketDVD, there's a review here somewhere. And compared to a newer WM device, there is a noticeable difference in video playback. Audio playback is generally okay, but not as good as the sound from my Handspring Visor Prism and Minijam springboard. Expect distortion due to saturation when playing around with the equalizer settings, especially boosting the bass. Also, volume controls refuses to work after awhile because of a driver conflct. Thank C.Amie.

6. The case looks that much more nicer than the 720.

7. Expansion options are plentiful, software support is limited but still the best for an HPC OS.

8. HP Software makes up for critical shortcomings of HPC 2000. Apps like Backup makes the machine a truly desktop independent device.

The 728 I think has the best bang for bucks value for an HPC device. The Sigmarion III is an awesome device, TFT screen, bigger keyboard, pocketable but, the OS makes it difficult to get apps, and the lack of a PCMCIA makes you totally dependent on CF Type II hardware, which is less numerous. It's also pretty expensive. I really can't comment on the Mobilepro 900 as I've never really used them, but I've been very happy with my 728, which was a real suprise coming from an EPOC background.

My ideal replacement would be a 9500. The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but after playing with my wifes commie, I can actually type as fast on the commie as i do on the 728. And the best thing about the commie is that you don't really need to touch the screen, keyboard shortcuts are standardised, making it easier to remember, and the screen is nothing short of amazing. But, it is pricy, and a 3G version will be out soon. Besides, like most wireless device, it doesn't have any options to connect over a landline, which makes it such a pain in the ass when you're stuck in places where wireless data is not available
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 8:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

shortcomings of the 9500... symbian OS - nokia totally spoilt the good old EPOC... so it's SLOW and unreliable (might as well have a Windows CE OS, no more unreliable than the 9500). and has a lot of annoying bugs, ms office compatibility could be better and web browsing speed is ridiculous.
i've never tried a 9500, but everyone who i talked to says just the same (as above). so a five years old jornada 720 or 728 (of course with expansion, wifi, etc) is still more usable and knows more than today's nokia communicator actually i'm sorry that it's this way... maybe the MDA IV?...
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 11:13 AM
#
About the size issue,

I'm the kind of HPC nerd that would sew a custom pocket in my denim vest just to accomidate a massive machine. I have a few friends who have purchased j720's, and they said they're great little machines, but have a very small selection of available software. Plus, the lack of screen size was a HUGE problem with viewing web pages and reading small print. I understand that the MP790 is a very bulky unit, but I can deal with that.

Although the j72x's have better battery life and easier web setup, I would rather have something with a roomier keyboard and bigger screen. I have heard the MP790 screen quality is questionable, but I can deal with that.

In the long run, It also comes down to price. I'm still in high school so I'm not raking in a whole lot of cash. I'd probably only spend about $200 on an HPC at this point.

In conclusion, I just wanted to know if there is anything bad about the MP790 I should know before I buy. I have searched for info, but only get airbrushed stock photos, sales pitches and technical specs. I guess I need the inside scoop on the MP790 from a REAL person who has used one.

P.S. This is the first time I've really used a forum, and thanks for your guys' support.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 12:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2005-06-07 5:13 PM

I have a few friends who have purchased j720's, and they said they're great little machines, but have a very small selection of available software. Plus, the lack of screen size was a HUGE problem with viewing web pages and reading small print. I understand that the MP790 is a very bulky unit, but I can deal with that.

you should give your friends this link: http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/
they'll see then that there's a lot of software for the j720! not less than for the MP790. they really should check this software site!!
(of course if a program has only a version for an earlier wince OS than ce 2.11 they won't work on a 720, but there are few of them that hasn't been replaced with a newer and better software. on the other hand there're ARM only ppc software for the 720 with a little hacking...)

screen size isn't the same as screen resolution, so you won't be able to see more information on a MP 790, but it's true that the text will be bigger.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 12:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The screen differences are down to the dot pitch, the MobilePro use 26 micron I believe where as the Jornada use 24 - in main stream displays smaller equals better... but in the case of the H/PC there are some people who prefer the larger DP.

the MP900 gives you the greatest future proofing - with it's flash rom conceivably you could see future CE core releases on it. HPC2000 and CE4.2 are available at the moment. An independent OEM could create a CE5 image for it and off into the future. There are also Linux possibilities if you are so inclined. CE4 is going to limit your software potential though, and combined with the Japanese config / ROM aspect of the Sig, may rule that out.

Between the 790 and the hp 700's, if size is important then go for what is more comfortable, the slightly bigger MP size of course equates to a broader keyboard and may be easier for you to type with. As a toss up between the two I would personally always stay with StrongARM - MIPS PPC's only lasted for PPC2000, where as ARM goes through to modern devices.

As per movies, see my PocketDVD review:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=92
Video Samples and trial are available from the manufacturers site so you can see for yourself.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 1:26 PM
#
Okay, so a j72x isn't so bad...

But I really want to get a MP790 because it's much cheaper than the j72x's. And I really like the way it was designed. I absolutely MUST have the larger screen and keyboard, even though it's not as clear as the j72x. MP790's have slower processors (StrongArm 206mhz vs. MIPS 168mhz), but I can live with it.

Sorry I am so stubborn about this. I took your feedback seriously.

If there is nothing SERIOUSLY wrong with the MP790, I will get one. However, I need to know where I can get one for cheap, with the PC sync cable, AC adapter, etc.

Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 1:33 PM
#
BTW: I am now an official member, I guess. I hope to learn a lot from this site and someday maybe help others. I think it's totally awesome that there are still people who believe in HPC's and their usefulness. Thanks again.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 2:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually, I wouldn't say the 790 screen isn't as clear as the J720. While the pixel size may differ in the lcd, the resolution is the same...640 x 240. So you would of course have to have larger pixels to compensate for the larger screen.

It's probably just relative to the user and his distance from the lcd.

Could you imagine having the full 8.1 inch lcd screen of the Mobilepro and having itsy bitsy teenie weenie pixels. A solid background would probably have white gaps between the pixels.

And on that note, remember when Sony came out with the black matrix picture tubes on televisions? That was the same idea in a related sense. They found that the black intrapixel background appeared more vibrant to the naked eye than the older gray scale matrices.

And we've all looked at the newspaper pictures that looked just fine until we used a magifying glass and discovered the myriads of tiny dots. Smaller lcd screens with the same resolutions as larger lcd screens are the same principle in reverse.

Rich
 Top of the page
pro_01
pro_01 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 3:08 PM
#
so jornada it is...

but... i have just been outbidded on a 720 at ebay while waiting a for couple of secconds to refresh and rebid... damn it...

anyone with a 720 or 728 for sale?

there is still a sigmarion at $400 ending in a while, but i am not sure i want it... damn it...
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 12:49 PM
#
Thanks Rich.

I'd say you're right. The j72x have way prettier screens than MP790, although using the same resolution.

I know this isn't an easy question to answer, but does anyone know where I can find a MP790 for around $200? Just a thought.

P.S. What HPC is shown on the HPC Factor home page logo? You know, the pic that fades into the top-right corner?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

isn't it an MP? judging from the arrow keys...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 1:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The drifting header is a MobilePro 790.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8