x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do I sync my Mobile Pro 790 to windows 7?

gabol67 Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 1:39 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi Everyone,

I'm just upgraded my PC to windows 7 and I can't find the right Active Sync that will work with Windows 7? I keep getting an warning message that AS 3.1 thru 4.8 will not run on Windows 7. Does anyone know who to get around this? Thanks.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 1:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You need to use windows mobile device center. I think. At least I have that in my Vista netbook. It should be in 7.

edit. Just used it to connect to my ppc2003 smartphone. worked fine.

Edited by wallythacker 2011-02-26 1:59 AM
 Top of the page
gabol67 Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 2:35 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, this is what I get when i turn on the NEC...

Connecting to Serial Port @ 19200

Connecting to host, retry in 1,2,3,4,5,6 then I get the following message on my NEC:

"Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. Remote networking could not start due to critical error (Error 678). Please reconnect your device. If the problem persits, restart your device using the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

When I open WMDC, clikc on click on Connection Settings it opens the Communications Properties Icon on my NEC, and tries to establish a Connection to Host and I get the error message above.

I'm also using a Serial to USB cable that I bought today to connect to my PC. Cause my PC does not have a Serial Port.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 9:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
gabol67 Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 10:27 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, Are you saying that I should download the USB driver and should solve it?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 10:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No I was suggesting you read it
 Top of the page
gabol67 Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 2:47 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

That article is very consufing. From what I gathered it says that with Windows Vista, WMDC should work, but it does not for me.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 4:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Gabol67 -- The MP790 is a HPC2000 device. The table in the article as well as the subsection in the artlcle indicate that it won't sync or work as a data conduit using WMDC.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 4:38 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's only possible to connect H/PC 2000 devices to Windows Vista or Windows 7 via USB connection (rather than via serial, which is the only option available with the 790).
 Top of the page
gabol67 Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 4:21 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Oh!!! I guess I'm having a hard time accepting the answer because what I don't understand is why Windows 7 doesn't recognize my Serial to USB cable? I thought that would do the trick.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 5:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I have a Prolific USB to serial adapter that uses the PL-2303 driver and it works fine with Windows 7.

But that isn't the problem with using the Mobilepros. The serial/sync cable the 790 will handle serial data in/out just fine, like using a null modem cable. But when you plug in your 790 to a Windows 7 computer, it certainly won't recognized the 790 as a mass storage device. There are no drivers on the 790 for it to emulate a storage device. And again, even with an adapter, it is still serial leaving the Mobilepro, not USB.

You could however open a terminal window on your desktop and communicate with the 790 using another terminal and transfer files in the old X-Modem or Z-Modem fashion...but who would want to go to all that trouble when you can just copy the files over to a memory card?

I wonder if you could run Activesync in XP emulation mode on a Windows 7 machine?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 5:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The adapter doesn't change the data transfer protocol. On the 790 end, note that in the Control Panel under "Communication," the connection is still identified as "Serial@[transfer rate]."
 Top of the page
gabol67 Page Icon Posted 2011-03-01 2:02 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks.
 Top of the page
gabol67 Page Icon Posted 2011-03-01 2:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have the same driver and adapter. But now I officially know that it still won't work with Windows 7. So, I can finally give up fidgeting around.
By they way, do you know of any good sites where I can download good worthwhile CAB files? Thanks again.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11