x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2014-02-02 7:36 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

While searching this morning for more handheld computers to put up for sale, I came across some old software and a great magazine. The mag runs 184 pages and 95% is about Windows CE 2.0 - machines, software and accessories.

(WinCE1.JPG)

(WinCE2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WinCE1.JPG (89KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments WinCE2.JPG (83KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-02 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Back when geeking was practically sexy.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-02-02 10:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Very cool...very very cool. I bought and still own the Trivial Pursuit and the Scrabble...but never got the Monopoly...though I do have it for Pocketpc along with Battleship, Scrabble, and Yachzee. Never played Slingo or remember it actually.

$5.95 was pretty pricey for a magazine in those days.

p.s. Not as cool as this 360LX I have however....now that is cool.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-02-02 11:06 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Speaking of the 360, Rich, did you see my thread asking for some general impressions of that device?

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17305

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Edited by Duckworth 2014-02-02 11:07 PM
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2014-02-03 12:35 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

p.s. Not as cool as this 360LX I have however....now that is cool.

LOL! Enjoy it.

Rick
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-02-03 2:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My thoughts are brand new as I never owned one before, having this one for only a few days.

I like the infrared window along the right side...makes it easier to use I think than hidden along the back edge. I like that ti has an accessible cf slot...that sucked on my old 680/690/720/728 machines. Seems those hinged doors on those models was fragile to say the leaset. I wish they would have designed it with the CF slot open...I'd hate to lose the clip on door that comes with it.

I did drill a small hole in the door cover for the coin battery so I can reset it without having to open the door all the time. I liked the keyboard better on the models I just mentioned, but since I could never touch-type on them either it makes little difference. The backlight is far better than most of the handhelds I've enjoyed. The speed is not as bad as I thought it would be...and CE2 is just as I remember it.

I dug through my cables and found a couple of old Jornada cables, so I can sync using it along with my PL2303 adapter via USB connector. Most of the time I just use infrared, but that runs the batteries down a little faster.

Best thing is that there is a plethora of softwar that runs on this thing...so no complaints at all. As you probably know, C:Amie has been trying to update the SCL here at HPCFactor. Some of the software applications will only install if you have an Activesync connection with the handheld. So this has resolved that issue, allowing me to install the files to the 360LX and then copy them off and create a CAB file that can be hosted in the SCL. I didn't have an SH3 machine before...but I do now.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-02-03 6:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I still have all of those games, but the Trivial Pursuit one is buried somewhere under a bunch of stuff I have stored away. One day I need to locate it cuz I want to install it on my MIPS CE 5 devices (I've already done that with that version of Scrabble). Like Rich, I also have the Pocket PC versions of Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, and Scrabble. Kinda cool having a choice between running the H/PC or Pocket PC version on the same device.
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2014-03-23 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Some more old Windows CE software that I dug out today - Purple Software's Backgammon & Chinese Chess and 5Pack (HomeRun, Checkers, Yacht, Theole and Enigma) as well as bSQUARE's bUseful Utilities version 1 and 2.

Rick

Edited by Richard Plume 2014-03-23 8:53 PM

(WinCE2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WinCE2.jpg (90KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-03-24 2:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Those Purple Software packages are pretty cool. I saw the one on the right on eBay not long ago and regretted not bidding on it. Some screenshots would be nice.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-03-24 12:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Super cool. I tried writing the Purplesoft people to ask them to release their old software into the public domain...impossible to get ahold of...all links are dead and no info on the original authors, especially after Cascata took them over...

I always thought it was interesting that Omar Sharif endorsed their software.

Yeah, some screenshots of all the games would be cool...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-03-24 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I think it was Sharif himself who developed "Lara's Game" for the H/PC. At the end of the contest, you have a Zhivago heart attack on the street and all winnings go back to the State.

Actually, Dr. Zhivago is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Jake

edit: misplaced the "h" in Zhivago--had already returned it to the State.

Edited by Jake 2014-03-24 2:40 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-03-25 5:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Purple Software released Omar Sharif Bridge - dunno if that had anything to do with it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-03-25 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I always remember his cameo in Val Kilmer's TOP SECRET--humiliated and car-compacted, on his back with that buxom brunette leaning over him. Only certain actors can laugh at themselves, and an H/PC guy to boot.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-03-26 6:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd be in a good mood too if I had a buxom brunette leaning over me.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-03-26 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, Sharif takes that position as well He may have been crushed in a car, but his antenna is undaunted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61AWnIZrT5g

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.359 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 15