x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WiFi HP Jornada 680e - how to print document...

johnnyl Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 3:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi All,

Does anyone know what setup is required to print document from WinCE 2.11 MS Word or HP Quick Pad wirelessly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
JohnnyL
HP Jornada 680e
Cisco Aeronet 350 Wi-Fi Card
Linksys BEFSR41 V.2 Router
Linksys WAP11 Access Point
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 5:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Johnnyl,

Please check that your device has App version 3.01 (start > settings > control panel > system > applications) I believe that the 680e does already. If not please install Service Pack 1 from support.
Once you have your LAN running, properly, in the print dialogue a Network option will be available.

It will ask you to specify a printer address. What it is asking for is a UNC addess. An overview of sharing files and using UNC addresses can be found here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0006.asp

Assuming that you have shared your printer on the network, please follow the "To discover the machine name of a computer you wish to access" steps to get the machine name of the PC that your printer is connected to.

On the H/PC type \\ in the address bar in Pocket IE or Windows Explorer. This will show you the shares list. In there will be the printer share. For example this might be:
BJC-4000
canonbub
epson750
hplazer

Once you know the Printer name all you do it put the full unc path in the box on the Print dialogue e.g.
\\\
\\mypc\hplazer

This will then send your document to the printer. I'm sorry thats a little complicated. It's late here, I'm tired. I will get it written up into a nice & clear CESD guide for you tomorrow.

There are a few caveats though.
You have to have a PCL 3 printer. There is a list of compatible ones in the HCL. Printing to other types of printer requires third party software.
You also have no remote device control (control requests to pause or cancel the print)
 Top of the page
johnnyl Page Icon Posted 2004-11-12 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello C.Aimie,

Thanks very much for the information. I look forward to your write-up on this issue.

I do have comments on your suggestions:

>>Please check that your device has App version 3.01 (start > settings > control panel >> > system > applications) I believe that the 680e does already. If not please install >> Service Pack 1 from support.

I mistakenly downloaded and installed WinCE 2.0 service pack 1 from following URL:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/ce20/default.asp

It installed fine without any errors. I checked the APPs as you suggest above, however I noted that MS App versions are listed as 3.0.

Later, I found H/PC Pro SP1 that I downloaded and installed from:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/ce211/

I checked and note that the Apps still shows version 3.0.

How can I fix this problem or why don't I see App version 3.0.1 as you state?

Also, I have HP Deskjet 672C (inkjet) printer that I bought about 4 years ago. It is connected to XP system on my network. It is a shared resource. I am able to print on it from my another Xp system (on same home network) on which I've installed ActiveSync 3.7.1 installed and is used to talk to my Jordana 680E. Will I be able to use this printer to print from my Jordana wirelessly?

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
JohnnyL
HP Jornada 680e
Cisco Aeronet 350 Wi-Fi Card
Linksys BEFSR41 V.2 Router
Linksys WAP11 Access Point
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-12 10:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm currently lagging behind on my to do list today. I'll get the document up asap.

If the screen states 3.0 it means that you need to install SP1. If 3.01 the device has SP1 integrated.
After installing SP1 it wont actually change to 3.01 - odd I know.

As for the deskjet. The only printers we know about are in the HCL. Anything else you will have to look up to see if it is a PCL 3.0 compatible printer.

Worst case you send a test print to it and you get a load of jibberish out.

I can't be more specifiy than that I'm afraid, I don't have the time right now to research it for you.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-12 3:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The tech article is now available:
Printing over a Wired or Wireless Network from Windows CE
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0015.asp
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9