x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 620LX doesn't start

1 2
Th3Tink3r3r Page Icon Posted 2021-05-23 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I have a HP 620LX that doesn't start.
The battery is charged and the 2032 is new (there is no battery leakage).
Any ideas on what i should do? What i should troubleshoot?
 Top of the page
Modelist Page Icon Posted 2021-06-21 1:12 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Very little information ... What do you mean it does not start ?? How does it react to connecting the charger?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-06-21 5:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Try a hard reset maybe?

I think the method is:

"Hard Reset

Remove the main battery and the backup battery, wait for approximately 3 minutes, then reinsert them. Insert main battery before back-up battery. Remember, leaving the palmtop PC with no power causes ALL DATA TO BE LOST."

via
https://manualmachine.com/hp/620lx/910123-user-manual/

Edited by stingraze 2021-06-21 6:01 AM
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 4:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Got the same problem with a 620LX I've purchased today. The guy who sell it to me tried to fix it, opened it, and (obviously) did not make it work. The palmtop receive current, because the notification led beneath the lid is light up red, but it does not turn on. Any ideas on how to fix this?, I did a hard reset with no apparent effect...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 4:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Not for the 620, but I found this thread here about the 660
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4381&start=1
Try these if you haven't already:
cmonex - 2006-04-13 1:40 PM

well, did you press the power button? lol

it should work without the battery too..

try to press reset too - it is at the bottom under a door, also if you can find a backup battery there, remove it along with the ac adapter, so that it does a full hard reset. maybe that helps..

Britty - 2006-04-13 2:36 PM

Yes the unit should work just with the AC adaptor. I will reflect Cmonex's suggestions and recommend you soft reset the unit via the reset button and try again. I want to add that if the unit contains any peripeherals (PCMCIA card, Compact Flash Card, etc) then fully remove these also before further testing.

If that doesn't work then remove both the AC power and the backup battery cell for about 30 minutes to ensure a hard reset. Put the battery cell back in then plug in the AC adaptor and try again.

Let us know this goes.

The last post said this, but again, I'm not a hardware expert, so don't panic yet:

KBoyKool - 2006-04-14 1:43 PM

While we are hoping the information above proves to be successful, it is worth mentioning that the screen may be the culprit. After the magic white smoke escaped from my HP 660LX, my screen died, but the unit powers up and I can even "see" it when I am serial connected to my PC through AS. I hope it's not a dead screen in your case.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Press the reset button and hold S. See if it will boot into the diagnostic mode.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 4:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi. I see the light is orange (not red, sorry) and blinks green in a fixed time...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 4:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also found this thread

Gene,

0.5 amp should be enough to operate the 620lx. I can't remember if the docking station directly puts the adapter power to the coaxial adapter connector on the 620 or if it's transfering the power through the multi-pin connector. I would try removing the unit from the docking station and pluging the ac adapter directly into the unit.

I would also try the following:

1. Remove the Lithium battery and check to see if show's any effect from the charging. If after plugged in for several hours, the battery voltage is still low, then the battery is probally done for. You'll need a new battery.

2. If battery seems to be accepting the charge, and unit still won't power up, remove both battery and backup battery and let unit set for a day or two. Then reinstall and see if it will power up. I'm assuming that the backup batter is good? But even with a dead or missing backup battery the unit should power up and then give you a message saying "replace backup battery".

3. Last resort - remove main lithium battery. Plug in the adapter and see if it powers up. this "should" be safe, but I'm not 100% sure that it won't damage the unit. That's why I say last resort.

4. If you do Item (3) - and all is well, then check the unit's battery contacts to see if the adapter is apply voltage to them.

Good luck,

Bill

Source
https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv014.cgi?read=67336
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 4:51 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I disassembled the unit and this little trinket fell down. I am sure it is of the video ribbon, but IDK how to put it back in place...

Also, this is the 620lx with no battery inserted neither the CR2032. The light is fixed green...

Seem it works, but... Won't turn on...

If I put the main batt, the led is fixed in orange...

And Still refuses to turn on.

Edited by ABBADON 2024-03-05 4:59 PM
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 10:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well. Sorry for the bump, I think I'll buy a multimeter and try to find what's going on because now lights don't appear at all (I did a second disassembly and a full cleaning of contacts and the like).
I hope this 620 doesn't end as a beautiful paperweight..

Edited by ABBADON 2024-03-05 10:39 PM
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-13 10:08 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Sorry for the bump, but., have any of you some clues of what could be happened?, I'll appreciate your experience.

Things I tried so far:

-Replaced CR2032 battery.
-Soft reset.
-Reset (30 sec pressed).
-Reset + "S" key.
-Reset + "S" key. (30 sec pressed).
-ON button pressed 30 secs.
-Hard reset (CR2032 and main battery removed).
-Removed CR2032 and main battery for 3 days.
-Recharge main battery.
-Tried to turn on the unit with AC connected.
-Disassembled and cleaned PCB's contacts and slots.
-Checked and cleaned battery contacts (main and backup).
-Re seated RAM and any ribbons present (finally I managed to know what was the right place to put that little trinket on).
-Checked "white smoke" traces' presence.

This afternoon I probably do a double check for damaged components on the PCB. Sincerely, I have no idea of electronics, so I will pull from tutorials to do a proper search of any problems.

Edited by ABBADON 2024-03-13 10:13 AM
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2024-03-13 4:16 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

When the device boots up but you have no display, I found that sometimes the unit thinks that the display is closed due to the switch being stuck depressed. This also happens on old laptops, and how this manifests itself varies per device, from no display at all to the unit turning on just the backlight but nothing else (this happens on my Jornada 680 sometimes).

It seems that on the 620LX the switch might be where the latch locks the display in place when closed, you might be able to get a plastic tool in there and try to press the switch a few times to see if that changes anything.

Unfortunately, if the unit does not start up at all I don't really know where to start if you have tried reseating all the connectors and such.
You should be able to trace power going into the unit with a multimeter to the various areas of the PCB, but I'm not too experienced with that.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-13 4:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Looks a good approach. Will try it!!, thanks
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-13 5:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I would take all the batteries including backup out. ANd leave it for a weekend. If that green light is on, then there is a charge in it. Try turning it back on and resetting it after you try that. Just my idea.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-13 6:51 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi.

No matter how much I look and look, there's no switch. The J680 has one under the left hinge, but the 620LX... not.

Ive got now my multimeter. Let's see what can I do..
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12