x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next »
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-29 1:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-12-29 12:58 AM

Wouldn't it be simpler to release a single image specified to the minimum required size (8gb or what have you) and to have Jornada-Config run automatically as part of first boot?

That way it's less work for you and you can force basics like keyboard layout, language, network connectivity, account and password creation, root password reset and partition config on the user at first run.

C:Amie:

Yes, you are right... and that was Timob0's intention. So, I can do that.

Presently I have roughly divided the memory card into 40% Fat32 60%Ext2 partitions, so WinCE and Devuan can share files. As you say, an 8GB disk image with 4Gb FAT32 and 4Gb Linux partition (expandable by resizing to 28Gb or 60Gb or more) should suffice except for those with 2Gb or 4GB cards.

So 2Gb and 8Gb images should do if a 1GB/4Gb FAT32 partition is adequate for storing shared Mp3, etc files... which is likely for most users.

I'll also set Params.txt for stock 32Mb ram size... presently its set at 64Mb and needs to be changed to 32 or won't boot completely.

There is still some testing to be done on Timo's Jornada-config utility for example: creating a new user account goofs up wifi card name or so I just found out, also startup scripts aren't set up globally... and should be, IMO.

So yes good suggestion. What size shared FAT32 partion would you recommend? Feedback by others would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

joval
posted on a J720/Devuan/RasPi hybrid HPC

Edited by joval 2021-12-29 2:00 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-29 3:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Joval,

I'd recommend not burning a FAT partition onto it at all. Set the EXT2 partition in the image to as small as possible to get it to boot to Jornada-Config. Set a first run menu in Jornada-Config to handle partition layout. This asks you what ratio you want the CF card resized to:
EXT2 FAT32
100% 0%
80% 20%
60% 40%
50% 50%
40% 60%

Have the script create the FAT32 partition on the hoof - again, less work for you in maintaining it as you only ever have to wrap the EXT2 partition.

Again, perhaps as part of the first run process you can have it check the system RAM, dynamically adjust the RAM size in Params.txt and then force a reboot? (I don't know if you are allowing params.txt to be mountable).
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-08 1:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-12-29 7:45 AM

Joval,

I'd recommend not burning a FAT partition onto it at all. Set the EXT2 partition in the image to as small as possible to get it to boot to Jornada-Config. Set a first run menu in Jornada-Config to handle partition layout. This asks you what ratio you want the CF card resized to:
EXT2 FAT32
100% 0%
80% 20%
60% 40%
50% 50%
40% 60%

Have the script create the FAT32 partition on the hoof - again, less work for you in maintaining it as you only ever have to wrap the EXT2 partition.

C:Amie: Thanks for the feedback!

Consider this: A Fat32 (or Fat16) is necessary since the Devuan bootloader
and kernel can only be only be seen and run by WinCE when in such partition types. So, can't eliminate the Fat32 partition totally... is not an option.

Further, a tiny FAT32 or Fat16 partition pretty much restricts the J720 to Devuan/Linux use solely. Why? Because each time you boot into Devuan, it completely wipes out or overwrites all your WinCE data and programs. For this reason, a total backup using (HP Backup) is necessary before booting up Devuan so as to allow a "pseudo" dual boot option back to on WinCE followed by HP Restore. This means the FAT32 partition needs to be large enough to store the Backup copy too along with Devuan bootloader, Parameter files, and zImage kernel.

Now, to have true dual boot sharing of files, shared files must be saved to a FAT32/16 Partition so winCE can access them. Devuan/Linux can easily save and read/run files from the FAT32 partition by creating a Linux "mount point"... basically a Linux folder that is the equivalent of a WinCE "storage card." I just set this up in LXterminal with "sudo mount /dev/hda1 /cf" where the FAT32 first partition = /dev/hda1, and /dev/hda2= Linux partition and /cf is the FAT32 "drive" folder in Devuan. So, IMO, at least 1 to 2GB FAT32 partition at a minimum would suffice to store music mp3, audio books, podcasts, web pages, backup and other shared files, etc... at least on a small 4Gb CF or SD card.

I think those who are Linux savvy already know how to use the Gparted program to generate/create a FAT32 partition of any size desired.

NOOB's will be "lost in space" at that challenge and just want Devuan to boot up to a ready-to-go desktop like a tablet or laptop or cell phone, etc.

Seems the best solution is to have a disk image with autologin for NOOB's with a set Fat32 partition... or sliding scale dependent on SD card size but no bigger than about 14GB at max (or WinCE file manger gets squirrelly with larger partitions) and another with login required and maybe selectable larger or smaller FAT32 partitions as you have recommended for Linux knowledgeable users. OK, I will soon host a 4Gb (2Gb FAT32, 2Gb Linux)and a 31Gb(14Gb FAT32, 15Gb Linux) disk image with log in required and boots into Jornada-config so NOOB's can select auto-login thereafter, and the Devuan partition can be resized to max out the CF or SD card.

Again, perhaps as part of the first run process you can have it check the system RAM, dynamically adjust the RAM size in Params.txt and then force a reboot? (I don't know if you are allowing params.txt to be mountable).

It's so much easier to just make this change in WinCE with notepad than to write a script in Devuan, IMO

FYI: all this written while watching a "Yellowstone" episode on a Big Screen TV!

joval posted on a J72(8)/Devuan/Open Wifi to/Esp8266/to RasPiZero2/Firefox Hybrid HPC

Edited by joval 2022-01-08 1:42 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-08 11:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Joval,

I was assuming that the boot partition was entirely separate and was excluded from the calculation. Mountable distro's create a very small FAT partition for the bootloader.

For example:
Image = ( (FAT16 32MB + EXT2 (min required)) + Freespace for expanding the EXT2 / creating a share partition)

For security and integrity you shouldn't be sharing the bootloader area with the user area.

quote]It's so much easier to just make this change in WinCE with notepad than to write a script in Devuan, IMO
That's a very Linux-esque "user unfriendly" way of thinking about the problem. If you want people to actually use this, the more automation and the less geek that you can offer them, the more inclined they will be to try it.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-14 7:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

Some new developments in the next disk image coming soon:

1. Sudo no longer requires password (now similar to RasPi)

2. Auto boots into with IceWM "desktop" window showing Timob0's great Jornada-config Utility Menu, battery level window, main menu, and opens LXterminal window

3. Hope to have Timo's power buttons set up (finally read his excellent ReadMe file)

4. Auto-ssh into RasPi (or other Linux X-server) and auto runs FireFox web browser (instructions/walk through instructions/DIY generate ssh-keys)

5. Initial boot up will require log-in to console with Jornada-config for resizing partitions to disk size, select manual or auto login, manual or auto startx into desktop as detailed above.

6. 2Gb FAT32 partition on smaller 4Gb disk image, approx 13Gb FAT32 partition on larger 31Gb disk image. Use Jornada-config's Resize utility for CF or SD cards of intermediate or larger sizes. Thus, only 2 disk
images will be hosted (Hopefully will move hosting to HPC:Factor in time)

7. Zram size reduced to approx 70%fraction so youtube videos don't lock up, yet browsing remains "snappy." Some issues with Jornada_sound driver and MOC music player failures related to Zram need fixing.

8. Main menu hopefully will be improved...

I'll let you know when images are available... Overall, Stefan's devuan port is running very well with ArchiMarks IceWM desktop recommendation, TimoB0 amazing J-Config Utility, and ntware's X-forwarding/VNC insights.

Running smooth... and getting about 3 hours browsing time with firefox via ssh to RasPi 3B+ (my preferred server).

joval ... from a J72(8)/devuan/wpa/auto-ssh/RasPi/Firefox hybrid HPC!

Edited by joval 2022-01-14 7:58 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-14 5:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

and...

9. Auto-mount Fat32 Partition (aka "storage card Drive in WinCE) as /cf folder for easy access/ use when in Devuan (ie, store files/music/webpages for Dual boot or save files when in Devuan (web page, downloads) for access later in WinCE and vice versa.

Example write a blog in WinCE , or create a Hunter-Biden inspired graphic masterpiece, then use rsync to copy to RasPi, use ssh into RasPi to post on HPC:Factor or, a Chinese website (to sell for Big Bucks with 10% for the Big Guy). Could prove profitable,IMO.

C:Amie ... Boot files in Fat32 partition are set to read only to avoid accidental deletion, etc. Params.txt file can be readily modified with any text editor in WinCE (pocket word) or Devuan editor (leafpad, mc editor, nano, etc.) I will consider backup copies of each, or see if they can be moved to a sub-folder. Good point though.

joval ...from his J720/RasPi now tamed "Mini-Me/CE" beastie

Edited by joval 2022-01-14 5:26 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-02-05 6:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI

New 4Gb disk image now available includes many of the updates mentioned above, find it here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Joval

ADDENDUM: Attached ReadMeLatest file has details / changelog. Enjoy!

Edited by joval 2022-02-05 9:27 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ReadMeLatest.txt (2KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-02-05 11:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All,

I just want to explain that given its memory limit of 32Mb the stock J720 is a bit sluggish with this disk image of devuan...opening new terminal windows and starting ssh, etc HOWEVER... once you connect to a RasPi 4 or other X-server and start vncviewer (-scaling FitWidth) and start Firefox from the RasPi menu... well ... Things really zip along with no lag on typing, quickly scrolls top to bottom, changes websites, etc

Not mention play videos, music,etc. The bottleneck is getting the J720 to jump through the hoops.

Likewise, once connected and on ac power it's a very snappy RasPi desktop at your fingertips... via a WPA wifi or even faster with a tethered ethernetpcmcia card.

So don't let the J720 32Mb rom limit discourage you... there's a big hill to climb getting there, but even those with stock J720... will be sitting on top of the world with a spectacular quick responsive view of the entire internet world! As I am proving now actually. Of course, if you have the 64Mb Rom upgrade in your J720 you or the custom 128Mb board, this is not an issue!

Having spent several days getting online in WinCE mode using a retro-proxy like program called WRP where a portion of a webpage takes a 15 second refresh I feel like I've gone from a tricycle to a Tesla speed wise. But, hey, I'm happy to have the best of WinCE and Devuan in a dual boot option.

And it's remarkable and cool to be able to surf the web, get through the captcha maze, and post messages on Https sites with the Likes of MP800 or J720 in WinCE mode. There is some rather demanding game-manship to do so in WinCE until you learn how to cut corners, use pocket word and then copy paste instead of just typing in the text box as I'm doing here in Devuan/RasPi.

And thanks to the newer Frogfind.com site that converts webpages into text pages, all you need to get online is an ethernet or wifi cards... combined with dinky esp8266 working as an open router or an ethernet2WPA2wifi adapter ==> most any HPC can now have portability and web access... just like they were always intended to do.

Ha,ha... guess you can see how versatile even a J720 with 32 Mb can be as I am slamming out this post in near record time

Yet, all the same, in the early morning hours reading wikipedia articles in WinCE mode with NO blipping Ads screaming for attention is quite enjoyable too.

Perhaps, C:Amie will let me opine on such things in a quasi review of the retro-web-revolution that summarizes some of the mischief going on. And.perhaps, maybe he will allow hosting the Devuan-easy-install-disk-image here on "the Factor" somewhere! (keep your fingers crossed)

joval ...posted from J720-32Mb/Devuan/WPA-wifi/RasPi4/VNC desktop/Firefox "extended" HPC

Edited by joval 2022-02-06 1:30 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-02-06 5:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just added 32GbDevuanJ720 disk image along with previous 4Gb and updated ReadMELatest.txt file. Note: FAT32 partition/drive is auto-mounted to the /cf folder in the 32GB devuan image, so you can share saved files between WinCE and Devuan "dual boot" modes. Reminder: make backup image of your WInCE J720 files before booting into Devuan so you can restore later (and/or save documents to storage card folder)!

Find 'em here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697 ...presently, expect to move to HPC:Factor in future.

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-02-06 5:11 AM
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-24 7:10 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval, hope you're keeping well!

Great to see the progress on J720 Linux :-) I'd like to try out the new image you put together, however the sugarsync link doesn't seem to work. Would you mind to re-share the two files, please?

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to add some features to the touchscreen driver, one of which is using the softkeys as mousebuttons. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Timo
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-02-24 7:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-25 5:17 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Ah, great - found them :-) Many thanks!
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-25 6:29 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval, tried both images:
- the 32GiB one seems to be broken, writing to CF card finished after 5.5GiB and wouldn't boot, couldn't access the linux partition
- the 4GiB shows both the DOS and Linux partitions, however it wouldn't boot either and 820M on the DOS disk is too small for me

I'll test a bit more, maybe my CF cards are going bad :-(

Kind regards
Timo

Edited by timob0 2022-02-25 6:31 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-02-26 11:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2022-02-25 10:29 AM

Hi Joval, tried both images:
- the 32GiB one seems to be broken, writing to CF card finished after 5.5GiB and wouldn't boot, couldn't access the linux partition
- the 4GiB shows both the DOS and Linux partitions, however it wouldn't boot either and 820M on the DOS disk is too small for me

I'll test a bit more, maybe my CF cards are going bad :-(

Kind regards
Timo

Hi Timo!

Good to hear from you...sorry to hear the recent devuan images aren't working for you. I will re-host them on the sugarsync site now and also download and verify they are working. I find the different cf and sd cards often vary in their true size... so if need be I can make them a bit smaller.

Remember, you can resize the partitions... there should be 3 including the swap, if needed... using gparted, run check disk... might help too. ( Also, some CF cards wouldn't create more than 2 partitions and won't work). I also need to rewrite/consolidate the ReadMe files. Keymaps, menu need work too.

I've been off on a WinCE tangent lately... but I really appreciate your wonderful contributions Jornada config and buttons, Qemu, sound,etc. Very nice booting up with Jornada-config appearing now... so hope you can get it working., but I'll fix whatever needs fixing.

Best regards,

Joval

Addendum: OK rehosting 4 and 32 Gb images from sugarsync... and in process of checking/verifying they work. Might add some older working images as well if needed... later.

Edited by joval 2022-02-26 11:38 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-02-26 11:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Let me know when you a want the repository updating.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10