x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

In need of a cheap Windows machine

WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-15 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi there yall im looking for a small Windows 95/98 machine (laptop) to get just to install programs onto my palmtops with the sync software. Is there a model a lot of you go to for a cheap laptop that does the job ? Trying to spend lie $30-50 with the AC adaptor. But I dont own any PCs in my house anymore, we all gone Apple.

Sorry i put this in simple discussion but its kinda of a simple discussion for getting software onto my older palms. Why didnt they just make everything a .cab file ! ? I shake my first in furious anger. LOL!

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-15 6:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-02-15 6:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you have an x86 Mac, you can run VirtualBox and install 9x onto it. Then you can pass forward a serial port (via a USB to Serial adapter)
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-15 6:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I dont own an Intel mac anymore sadly. Well not sadly in most regards ! I love my M1. Wish theyd come up with new software for syncing devices. Youd think someone would be savy enough to make it happen.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-02-15 7:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-15 7:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I also found this thread about ideas for USB-RS232 on the M1s

https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/usb-to-rs-232-adapters-for-m1-macs.1495027/
 Top of the page
goldfishdev Page Icon Posted 2024-02-15 11:33 PM
#
Subscribers
Factor Fanatic

Running a VM is cool, but I've always found buying actual hardware better. Yes, I could've synced all of my WM and Palm devices to my Linux laptop with QEMU, but instead I bought a WinXP laptop used for $15.
OP, I'd recommend checking eBay and shopgoodwill(dot)com for used laptops, usually they're the cheapest option.

Edited by goldfishdev 2024-02-15 11:34 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-16 12:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yeah i gotta get out to a pawn shop or something, these shipping prices on a laptop are killing me. I literally only want. PIII 128mb etc. Just to use with the palmtops. :-) Nothing less, nothing more.

Specs:

550mhz PIII (would need a. mobo)
256mb ram (I already own)
80gb SSD (I already own)

Plus i just dont want to build a tower.... Id rather have something small that only comes out once a week to sync and or add software. Thats it. At that it could even be a Pentium or AND K6-2. I have plenty of time to waste taking on and off software on a palmtop and different software. :-)

Is their anyone who makes a bootable or useable version of linux for this unit ? Ive seen stuff in msg boards but id be curious if i could pay someone for their troubles to help me get a workable linux running on the 680e. I know its free ware but the time it takes the person to make it happen is what matters and this shit is over my current mental healths ability. Let me know. Ill get whatever size CF i need etc. ?

Be cool to have a different OS on this to mess with, sounds fun.

-Walt
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-16 12:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I'd try Offerup/Facebook Marketplace/Goodwill too!
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-16 12:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Wish i had a PC user neighbor or another nerd around to help me out hahah. But itll be worth the time and effort what i plan to do with the unit :-)

Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2024-02-17 1:01 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Win9x machines are becoming collectable so if you don't want to pay "vintage" tax I would look at an XP netbook and a Serial to USB adaptor. I got an XP flybook for £16 delivered last week on ebay

Edited by fantablium 2024-02-17 1:01 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-17 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cheapest i can find for a working one is around $40 shipped :-(

I tried VM on my M1 max with Windows Xp but with no success :-(

So in the end i def need a PC so i can install some of this software. A lot is EXE files. Some is .cabs so i can install directly on the PDA but some require you to connect to a PC to install.

I was eyeing a Compaq that was only $25 but i got outbid.

If anyone has a working XP laptop that they dont need lemmi know ! :-)
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-17 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cheapest i can find for a working one is around $40 shipped :-(

I tried VM on my M1 max with Windows Xp but with no success :-(

So in the end i def need a PC so i can install some of this software. A lot is EXE files. Some is .cabs so i can install directly on the PDA but some require you to connect to a PC to install.

I was eyeing a Compaq that was only $25 but i got outbid.

If anyone has a working XP laptop that they dont need lemmi know ! :-)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 17 - Executed queries : 63