x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The HPCPalmtop platet - Chapter 2: The HPC, the PC, and the file-transfer dilemma.

1 2 3 4 5
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 12:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well. This is the second chapter of me trying to get used to use Hpcs.

WARNING: this is not meant to be academic, but a fun way for news like me to start enjoying this little devices.

Day... two. Or is it day 7?.who cares...

After gathering the hardware I need, I took a step out to the wild, just to add to the Jornada some fuel in the form of software, just that. Do it has the proper format to be reconigsable and thus make my machine... "fly"? I left that matter for future adventures, but... Now, it's time to transfer files!!

Before all, I inserted the CF card into the Jornada, and it recognizes it at the second try, then asked for it to be formatted, and after what I thought was a fail, the Wince Explorer shows it. Tried to copy paste files, and it worked like a charm. I did read that the system cut the total size of cards bigger than 2 GB in chunks of 2 GB, but this card retain the full capacity with no apparent, or seen, partitions.

Of course, it shows 3,87 GB instead of 4 GB, but as it happen with all pendrives I had for years.

Then, happy as a Teletubbie, I took my dear AA1 (Acer Aspire ONE ZG5 with Windows XP installed) and made sure that it has the right SP installed. It did. SP3 was the last of SPs released, an it make this little machine and it's OS deal with modern pendrive, card readers, USB hubs, and devices alike without the hassle of searching drivers.

Next, I made sure that the two main hardware for transfering files were near.

This is the first gadget: USB to 232 adaptor I found in Amazon. It came with a USB data cable extender (quite cheap) and a 78 mm CD containing the drivers for the PC that I put into an old 256 MB pendrive (the rusted black one on the top left position).

The second is this one: a multi-card reader. It's another cheap one, but... I think it'll do is part in this new adventure. At its side, the CF card I think will provide more than enough space for text files and ocasional games.

Armed and ready for the task, I inserted the CF card into the card reader, and then connect it to the netbook...

... waited to hear the well-known chime and...

Here you are. No problems at all, except the fact that the Explorer shows one drive for each slot of the reader. Fortunately, the first one was the CF card, probably because it's the only media storage connected, IDK if the order changes if two or more SDs are connected.

I put some software on the AA1, picked up a bunch of files, copy them with Ctrl + C, selected the (empty) CF card in Explorer, pressed Ctrl + V, and...

Voila!!, and, believe me, it do it fast!! (BTW, you caught me transferring the Street Fighter 2 ROM for Mame... Spoiler: I'd did not work).

After this success, I feel like Neo hacking the Matrix, and took my HP sync cable to start doing things in the old (and twisted) way. First I installed the drivers for the USB-232 adaptor. No problems for the software to be installed, but... (and I forgot to take a picture, sorry), even if the adaptor appear in the Device Manager, it shows the yellow circle with a "?" attached to it, so the AA1 "know" it's there but don't know "who" it is.

Aniway, I connected all...

... And....

This time was a Fail.

"Obviously, you smartypants..." you'll say. That's because the device (adapter) was not recognized. Drivers, of course, were the problem but, since I was able to transfer files, I was happy with that. I must apologise for letting part of my history untold.

Let me explain myself.

I am still trying to make the sync cable work,

Cable problems here...

and because this part of the story seem to need a fulI chapter, I decided to finish here this one.

The dilemma was solved because, why should I need a sync cable to transfer files if the multi-catd reader can do it with nothing but ease?

"Well, genius" (you'll say this time), "you managed to do one of two tasks, what about the part on which you explain us how to transfer files with the cable, the adapter, and the ActiveSync program?"

You must wait until..

The HPCPalmtop platet - Chapter 3: cables, active sync, and the MU7h3R who B0r3 them.

Edited by ABBADON 2024-03-04 1:08 PM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 4:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Excellent. It will be interesting to see what programs you load up for daily use.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 5:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

For now I was able to Install GAPI dll, the mfcwce. dll, Tetris, Screen Capture, and... Well, apart of some backgrounds, that's what I get to make work. I'm trying to make Any of the Doom ports for SH3 cpus I found work... No success at all
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ I just updated with a video info on getting Doom to run ;-) Check out the other thread. ;-)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 6:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ABBADON - 2024-03-04 5:24 AM

Before all, I inserted the CF card into the Jornada, and it recognizes it at the second try, then asked for it to be formatted, and after what I thought was a fail, the Wince Explorer shows it. Tried to copy paste files, and it worked like a charm. I did read that the system cut the total size of cards bigger than 2 GB in chunks of 2 GB, but this card retain the full capacity with no apparent, or seen, partitions.

Of course, it shows 3,87 GB instead of 4 GB, but as it happen with all pendrives I had for years.

These articles explain more
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200061/compact_flash_cf_cards_and_handheld_pcs/
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200205/maximum_supported_memory_card_file_sizes_under_windows_ce/
But basically:
Maximum card size for Windows CE 2.11 is likely 8GB (I can't get anything larger working)
Maximum Cluster Size (when you format the card in Windows XP): 32KB

This is the first gadget: USB to 232 adaptor I found in Amazon. It came with a USB data cable extender (quite cheap) and a 78 mm CD containing the drivers for the PC that I put into an old 256 MB pendrive (the rusted black one on the top left position).

Unfortunately that page doesn't show me which exact driver chipset you have
So we'll need that Hardware ID I asked before - I know you're still working though today

The second is this one: a multi-card reader. It's another cheap one, but... I think it'll do is part in this new adventure. At its side, the CF card I think will provide more than enough space for text files and ocasional games.

Nice! I have that same card reader. Works great for me
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I finally got my USB C card reader in the mail a few mins ago. NOW my life will be MUCH easier ;-)

Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 6:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

What port is the one you use, Torch?, I finally made it and I'm playing a bit with DOOM right now.

I'll try to see the HWID

Edited by ABBADON 2024-03-04 6:50 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ Nice :-)

Yeah i got Doom working late last night trying different things. Im so glad i figured it out and was able to help you or anyone else along the way. :-)

Have fun :-)
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 7:06 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'll do a new chapter for this!!
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 8:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ Get that chapter started ! :-)
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 7:42 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi.

Here's the device ID.

USB SERIAL CONVERTER

USB\VID_0403&PID_6001\FTB6SPL3

Sorry for the delay

Chapter 4

Edited by ABBADON 2024-03-05 8:31 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 3:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ABBADON - 2024-03-05 12:42 AM

Hi.

Here's the device ID.

USB SERIAL CONVERTER

USB\VID_0403&PID_6001\FTB6SPL3

Sorry for the delay

Chapter 4

Try this driver
https://www.ftdichip.com/Driver/CDM/CDM%202.08.24%20WHQL%20Certified.zip
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-05 3:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ THis is the driver that worked on my adapter. ;-)
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-03-06 5:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Oh... It does not work with mine... it still tries to connect, but fails..
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-06 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ Can you post a video of yourself trying to get this working ? Id love to see exactly what is going on. Settings in Active Sync etc. Kinda like i did when i was trying to get that email program uPOPuk working.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11