x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hp Jornada IR sync

ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-05-07 2:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello.

As you already know from other threads, my Jornada's memory card slot has the ugly habit of opening spontaneously, making it a pain to carry my Jornada in a small handbag, or simply leave it on a table.

And, furthermore, there is the issue of synchronizing with the PC. To this day it has been impossible for me... At least without using cables that are almost as expensive as the HPC itself.

These two things have made my Jornada collecting dust lately on my bookshelf because:

1. I can't transfer data from the mem card to the PC without removing it, making the slot wear prematurely.

2. I can't fix the slot because, that way, I won't be able to do anything in the Jornada and then edit it on the PC

Therefore, I thought about whether it would not be better to use a USB IR receiver. Would it work? Have any of you tried it?

I wish the Jornada was as easy to sync like the Nokia 9300 I've purchased recently...

Edited by ABBADON 2024-05-07 2:42 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-05-07 3:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, it'll work and you don't even have to use ActiveSync, you can use IrOBEX or Total Commander to squirt the files over.

The problem is that no one makes them any more so getting hold of a Fast IR (FIR) USB module is not easy. 10 years ago you could get them on eBay for pennies. Now, the couple that are on are a bit more than that. Same with

https://www.pccables.com/Search/70631.html
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-05-07 3:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is one here:
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-05-07 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@C:Amie's last ebay post is a very good deal (god, pcmonde is shameless).

I found trouble trying to use IR with Win10 (worked fine with Win8) and ended up having to install a virtual XP, where I could sync, etc (with the usual bugs that IR can present).

Others here know hardware better than me, but I think a J720 serial cable, regardless of price, is an easier road.

I wish ActiveSync users could set up a partnership via ethernet/wifi. That way, you could conceivably have a XP virtual setup (with a secondary router set to wep128) and wirelessly file exchange.

IR can be so vexing with modern machines, and the J serial cable is much more reliable.

Another option would be to find/buy a J docking station whose rudimentary usb will work with WMDC/Win10.

Edit: yet another option: get a J720-compatible ethernet card and wifi extender (to connect to your WPA2 router). Extenders have an ethernet jack, so you would circumvent ssl issues because ethernet doesn't care about them. Ethernet>total commander>win10 public folder (easiest is to set up a win10 ftp server)

Jake

Edited by Jake 2024-05-07 5:22 PM
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-05-07 8:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks!!, I'll try to find an IRDA of those.. Wish me luck!!

Btw... will this work?

Edited by ABBADON 2024-05-07 8:56 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-05-08 4:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Jake - 2024-05-07 8:34 AM

@C:Amie's last ebay post is a very good deal (god, pcmonde is shameless).

I found trouble trying to use IR with Win10 (worked fine with Win8) and ended up having to install a virtual XP, where I could sync, etc (with the usual bugs that IR can present).

Did you add IrDA in Optional Features tab?
https://dataloggerinc.com/resource-article/irda-dongle-win-10/
And there's the WMDC fixes thing from juniper
https://junipersys.com/index.php/support/knowledge-base/support-knowledge-base-topics/desktop-connection-activesync-or-windows-mobile-device-center/wmdc-in-windows-10

I wish ActiveSync users could set up a partnership via ethernet/wifi. That way, you could conceivably have a XP virtual setup (with a secondary router set to wep128) and wirelessly file exchange.

My memory is bad, but I thought there was a hack to create a partnership over eth/wifi - I found this CESD on restoring the registry though - so this may get you close
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200150/how_to_backup_your_hpc_activesync_partnership_configuration
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-05-08 2:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@torch I did those things, resulting in a working WMDC and an IrDA cpl in Control Panel. But the dongles never played nice, even after a successful IR driver install. I never did figure out the issues, since the dongles worked in virtual XP and allowed me to sync some CE 2.0 devices.

I hadn't realized that one could restore an AS partnership. I don't know if @ABBADON already has a partnership to backup and move to an XP OS, but this certainly sounds promising.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-05-08 6:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ABBADON - 2024-05-07 12:54 PM

Btw... will this work?

I don't think that will - I recommend going to C:Amie's post and getting one of those.

@Jake : Ohhh okay, I'm just making sure. Sorry it didn't work for you :/

Edited by torch 2024-05-08 6:42 PM
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2024-05-08 7:56 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Jake - 2024-05-07 5:34 PM

Edit: yet another option: get a J720-compatible ethernet card and wifi extender (to connect to your WPA2 router). Extenders have an ethernet jack, so you would circumvent ssl issues because ethernet doesn't care about them. Ethernet>total commander>win10 public folder (easiest is to set up a win10 ftp server)

I second this option, especially if your goal is to primarily exchange files with other computers rather than synchronize data.
Personally I have a FTP server set up on my NAS and use Total Commander on the Jornada to exchange files, it works great, and is wireless.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-05-09 11:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

torch - 2024-05-08 6:42 PM

ABBADON - 2024-05-07 12:54 PM

Btw... will this work?

I don't think that will - I recommend going to C:Amie's post and getting one of those.

@Jake : Ohhh okay, I'm just making sure. Sorry it didn't work for you :/

Will search one of those

Edited by ABBADON 2024-05-09 11:53 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-05-09 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

IMO, this is your safest bet. I have one of the SoHos and it doesn't fail, using J default drivers. For me, IR is a constant headache (I avoid bluetooth for similar reasons). Do take care with some of the SoHo listings; one or two don't seem to come with the proprietary cable, which you will need.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 33