x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SIMpad SL4 + MA401

1 2
CDphobe
CDphobe Page Icon Posted 2005-09-30 3:39 PM
#
Can someone please help before I do my nut?!

I'm trying to get my SIMpad SL4 (CE4.10 - Build 908) to talk to a Netgear MA401 card. I've tried the EagleTec ET-CWB1000 drivers for PocketPC2003/CE4 and whilst it loads the tools and dll files, whenever I add the card it simply flashes about 8 times, and if I select "PRISM settings" from the Control Panel it brings up a window entitles PRISMCFG with the message "Unable to connect to the Wireless NetCard. Is it inserted?"

I've tried loading the app and inserting the card straight away, loading the app and doing a software reset (Programs -> Tools -> Software Reset) then inserting the card, loading the app and doing a full reset (brief press on reset button on rear) then inserting the card, and even loading the app with the card in place.

Has anyone managed this, and if so can you talk a total numpty through it please?? Or have I missed some nuance of the various reset options on the SIMpad?

In hope

Al
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-30 4:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Try using a reference driver and see if you get on any better with it.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0028.asp
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-30 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

was the driver you tried identical to this one http://download.eagletec.com/ET-CWB1000/ET-CWB1000PocketCE4.exe ?

i'd recommend the reference drivers, one of them is the above driver, but i can1t remember which. and the other doesn't work on my ce.net 4.2 with a similar card (not netgear but the chipset is exactly the same). still, it is worth a try.
 Top of the page
CDphobe
CDphobe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-01 8:21 AM
#
Guys

Thanks for the really quick responses.

C:Amie, I've tried the 3.00... drivers that the link points to, using the 2577 cab file for the Intel StrongArm processor, and interestingly it came back asking if I wanted to re-install even though I'd checked and there were no Prism*.dll files in the C:\Windows directory - possibly remnants left in the registry files? But after selecting yes to re-install, exactly the same symptoms - refuses to recognise the card. Then removed the program and tried the 2.01... files, ran the application on the main pc using the 2577 cab again, ported to the SIMpad, soft reset and the same thing again, "Is the card inserted" every time I try and run the WLAN settings program from the Control Panel. And its recognising that a card is there because its checking authority to use battery power on each insert.

cmonex, yep the same drivers, took them from this site under the driver download area rather than Eagletec directly, but have downloaded the file from the path you suggest and file compare shows no differences.

Anyone actually using a SIMpad with an MA401?

Al
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-01 2:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'd suggest a hard reset and trying the eagletec driver without restoring your backup.
or if you don't like this idea, you can delete the relevant entries in HKLM/Drivers/PCMCIA/
and then reinstall the driver. but hard reset would be safer as there might be other problems.

anyway is your MA401 a 16 bit card? i remember reading there's a cardbus version... or was it a non prism version simply?
 Top of the page
CDphobe
CDphobe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-03 7:00 PM
#
cmonex, no problems about not restoring back-ups, I'm running with no information on the SIMpad anyway at the minute. I think I'm using a hard reset already (short press on the recessed "reset" button on the unit's rear). Happy to revert to the original ce4.1 image only if I knew how, other than letting the battery drain to nothing.

As for the card, I think its a standard PCMCIA unit, but if there's any way I can tell from FCCID, or part number, I'll happily check. It states its a 16bit 5V PCMCIA card..?

I think I might just end up going out and buying an Orinoco card since I believe these are supported from native in CE4.1

Al
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-03 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no a hard reset isn't what you did. you did only a soft reset
someone else has to tell how the hard reset is done on a simpad, or RTFM

if it states it's a 16 bit card that should be fine

my card isn't "natively" supported either but works a charm under ce.net 4.1... so don't give up yet
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-10-03 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-03 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-10-04 2:23 AM

"There are safe guards in place on the device that make it impossible for a you to loose the contents of the ROM chip while performing a Hard Reset process."

now if only it were 100% safe it is like 99,99% in real life on certain devices... (don't worry anyone, it is just a rant)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-10-03 9:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Oh now does the Simpad have a format function? The format option should allow a "hard reset" it has that option. I guess you would have to format the simpad and then hard reset it. I hope someone else can "Officially confirm" for me. he he he

Edited by Yoldering 2005-10-03 9:25 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-03 10:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-10-04 3:16 AM

Oh now does the Simpad have a format function? The format option should allow a "hard reset" it has that option. I guess you would have to format the simpad and then hard reset it. I hope someone else can "Officially confirm" for me. he he he

yes you can reflash it with another OS if that's what you mean.
but if you just want to perform a hard reset you won't have to format the ROM... quite the opposite.

hehehe
 Top of the page
CDphobe
CDphobe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-04 4:40 PM
#
cmonex, thanks for the continuing help! (and if only I could find a FM anywhere I'd be happy to read the thing!)

I think the only sensible way to run a hard reset in that case is to allow the batteries to drain to nothing - problem being that there's no access to the main battery pack without breaking into the machine. Even the button battery is inaccessible (assuming that there is one). Only thing I can find is a microswitch under a small circular cover to the rear of the SIMpad. Don't you just love buying stuff second hand?!

Al
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-04 5:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well in this case there must be an alternative way of hard reset. not just draining the batteries! for example pressing the power on button and the reset button at the same time. i mean, press both and hold for 2-3 seconds, then release the reset button and after a few seconds release the power button as well. it is a common way of hard resetting on pda's that don't have a user accessible backup battery. if that doesn't work, just PM a simpad owner on this forum.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-10-05 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Anyone needing a Simpad manual for either hpc2k or .net 4.1 can download it from here:

http://simpad.pdaclub.pl/
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-05 1:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-10-04 2:00 AM

Yoldering - 2005-10-04 2:23 AM

"There are safe guards in place on the device that make it impossible for a you to loose the contents of the ROM chip while performing a Hard Reset process."

now if only it were 100% safe it is like 99,99% in real life on certain devices... (don't worry anyone, it is just a rant)

Heh, your H/PC could get hit by lightning yes, your battery could suddenly discharge itself into the RAM chip. Hard resets don't corrupt FlashROM, Power glitches and or NAND life cycles do.

.. hum, there is a typo there actually - before Chiark sends me an email (just kidding, keep mailing)

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8