x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720/DCF660W

1 2
rufiky Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 6:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all!

I've recently got a Jornada 720, which I'm very happy with. I decided a wireless card would be a great idea last week so I got a D-Link DCF660W. IT works fine with my home netwrok but I can't get it to work with ministumbler or pocketwinc. Has anyone managed to get this card to work with any HPC stumbler-type programs?

TIA
Chris
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

maybe try to use the intersil prism drivers for the dlink, it should be compatible with them, and that should get ministumbler to work too
 Top of the page
rufiky Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ta for the reply. I removed the D-Link drivers through the remove programs dialog, and installed the prism ones you linked me to. Unfortunately the program for changing the settings (prismsta.exe?) won't start because it performs a good-old-fashoined windows illegal operation. I've tried all 4 versions of the HPC2000 drivers available from here. Couldn't be to do with the previously installed D-link drivers could it? I don't want to have to try a hard reset unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
Chris

*edit*
Scratch that - did a hard reset anyway and it still didnt work. The backup file won't restore either......

Edited by rufiky 2005-12-12 11:14 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 12:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi Chris,

You have the same card as my mainstay card. It can be picky at times.

I'll offer a couple of choices, perhaps one or both will work.

Try the Linksys WPC11 drivers for hpc2k. IIRC, they don't call mfce300.dll and cause a crash. Also consider trying the WPC11 2.11 CE drivers. Again, IIRC, they were functional. (If either/both cause a crash save the utility file on your CF for future experiments.)

One last thing I can think of. Try the Compaq WL100 CE 2.11 driver. I believe the Compaq utility will crash but then susbstitute either the Prism or Linksys utility and it will work.

Within the next day or so I'll be building up an image for my 720 with my DCF and I'll relay my findings here.

edit: I failed to mention. The Dlink drivers do not allow any promiscuous modes so wifi scanners won't work as you've discovered. Prism/Compaq/Linksys drivers work with Stumbler and Pocketwarrior.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-12-12 12:11 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rufiky - 2005-12-12 4:50 PM

Ta for the reply. I removed the D-Link drivers through the remove programs dialog, and installed the prism ones you linked me to. Unfortunately the program for changing the settings (prismsta.exe?) won't start because it performs a good-old-fashoined windows illegal operation. I've tried all 4 versions of the HPC2000 drivers available from here. Couldn't be to do with the previously installed D-link drivers could it? I don't want to have to try a hard reset unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
Chris

*edit*
Scratch that - did a hard reset anyway and it still didnt work. The backup file won't restore either......

hrm, i think you should download the hawking hpc2000 wlan driver from hpcfactor.com/hcl
that one must work (if it asks for the driver name, enter prismnds)

sorry to hear you did a hard reset it wasn't necessary at all

what backup file is this, did you create it with activesync? you have a chance of getting it to work then.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 2:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-12 6:07 PM

One last thing I can think of. Try the Compaq WL100 CE 2.11 driver. I believe the Compaq utility will crash but then susbstitute either the Prism or Linksys utility and it will work.

i think you shouldn't recommend the compaq drivers, as they're pocketpc ones, and if you need wep etc, then totally useless. ok you can hack it but i'm afraid that might screw up the taskbar, funny, i don't know why. (actually i didn't try it, only the ppc senao drivers. and pretec)

of course if the card won't work with anything else other than the compaq drivers... thats another entirely different matter
 Top of the page
rufiky Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 3:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks. I tried, I think, all of those options. I couldnt get any official Linksys drivers to work, because the utility doesnt recognise that the card is there at all. The compaq wl100 drivers work, using the hack found here, but since the utility doesnt work (its a PPC version) I cant set up WEP on it, which I can't turn off on our network. I havn't tested those drivers with ministumbler yet. As far as replacing the utility goes, I havn't found a replacement one that works yet.

Ta,
Chris
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rufiky - 2005-12-12 9:07 PM

Thanks. I tried, I think, all of those options. I couldnt get any official Linksys drivers to work, because the utility doesnt recognise that the card is there at all. The compaq wl100 drivers work, using the hack found here, but since the utility doesnt work (its a PPC version) I cant set up WEP on it, which I can't turn off on our network. I havn't tested those drivers with ministumbler yet. As far as replacing the utility goes, I havn't found a replacement one that works yet.

i'm sure you didn't try the hawking driver yet. go to the HCL (hpcfactor.com/hcl), go to wlan cards and select flat view then you can download it.
if even that gives the illegal operation message, you'll have to check your mfcce300.dll
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Boy Chris, I'm stymied.

I'll have to search the forums here. I did some testing on various drivers and posted my results. It was for mips cpus but I can't see ARM acting that differently.

And Monica, IIRC, the WL100 package was fine, wep and all. I didn't like it because it didn't hash the wep keys in the registry, they were stored as plain text.

Like I said, I'll be building a 720 image soon enough and one of the first things I do is add my wifi driver.

Chris, you sure about your AP setup? WEP only, no MAC filters (yet), private or shared keys? (Some drivers won't work with shared keys even tho' it's an option in the card util, ie. Spectrum)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 4:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-12 10:02 PM

I'll have to search the forums here. I did some testing on various drivers and posted my results. It was for mips cpus but I can't see ARM acting that differently.

And Monica, IIRC, the WL100 package was fine, wep and all. I didn't like it because it didn't hash the wep keys in the registry, they were stored as plain text.

yes MIPS and ARM (and/or SH3) can be different. i got a MP780 and this is definitely my experience with wifi drivers. i tried two intersil drivers, only second one was ok, senao's ce 2.11 drivers, with a mips3000 and 4000 build (i used 4000). the first one did not have two mips builds... just an unibuild does it matter in your experience?
and on ce2, i have had problems with the only two prism drivers (both unibuild), they both worked fine on SH3, but neither would on sharp 4100 (mips, maybe the problem was lack of AC power but i doubt it), and they work fine on nec 750c again (mips too).

wl100: hmm, ce.211 version may be fine. senao is the same, 2.11 works (except that it is 320 pixels tall and not 240... oh well), 3.0 is ppc (and screws up the taskbar if i hack it so i gave up on the nice site survey in it )
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-12 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'll admit I'm glad we have an abundance of choices. It's preferable to a single source that may not work. Then what?

I haven't tried the Hawking drivers yet. I'll add them to my arsenal for those peculiar problems.

I did have a miserable time with my 790 and the ex's 789. Nothing pure prism worked to my surprise. (I wasn't in the hard reset mood.)

The WPC11package was my answer. It installed and worked instantly.

Other than my 880 I haven't had any recent 2.11 experience since I sold my J690. And I really haven't done that much with my 880 other than to install wifi, Clik drivers and add Worldtalk. (Great tip that was, allows so much more web access.)

Here's hoping my 720 build (time permitting) goes well and I can help Chris with the wifi issue.
 Top of the page
rufiky Page Icon Posted 2005-12-13 4:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Woops - major apologies required... I was in a bit of a rush last night and hadn't noticed your replies cmonex - sorry! I meant I'd tried everything wallythacker suggestested in his first post on this thread. As you say I havn't tried the hawking drivers yet, I'll give them a go when I get home. The hard reset/subsequent lack of successful restoring isnt really that much of a problem, most things were on my CF card anyway.

Strangely, as I put the Compaq drivers on and inserted the card it asked to locate the driver - fine, but since I removed those drivers it doesnt ask me for a driver anymore - the light on the card doesnt come on and it doesnt appear to be recognised as present in the System tab in Control Panel. I'd obviously like to get it to ask me again.

BTW, I'm very sure the access point is set up just fine.

Again sorry about the confusion. My mistake
 Top of the page
rufiky Page Icon Posted 2005-12-13 11:18 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Quick update - installed the Hawking drivers and I'm pleased to report that they recognise the card and the utility works fine - as does ministumbler!

There is a but though... Internet explorer cant find anything. Although I can access the shared folders on my desktop via explorer, I cant get at my desktop's web interface through IE or get any web page. I managed to turn encryption off on the network, so its fully open. The router reports the Jornada as connected. Weird!
 Top of the page
rufiky Page Icon Posted 2005-12-13 11:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Another update - got IE to work. Problem fully solved, thanks cmonex/wallythacker!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-13 5:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rufiky - 2005-12-13 5:55 PM

Another update - got IE to work. Problem fully solved, thanks cmonex/wallythacker!

hey glad to hear it works now

what was the problem with IE?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9