x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can you install CF slot in 680e?

1 2
MrDonkey
MrDonkey Page Icon Posted 2004-12-25 5:38 AM
#
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to install a compact flash slot i got from a broken jornada 680 on my jornada 680e??
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-25 6:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you want to replace a broken one in the e with a working one, yes it should work ok. Just be very, very careful when pulling them apart.
 Top of the page
MrDonkey
MrDonkey Page Icon Posted 2004-12-26 5:50 PM
#
its just that i'm just about to get a 680e, and it does not have a cf slot as standard. Just wondering if the 680e has a place where i can fit one in??

can anyone help?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-26 5:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

err... yes it does.
It is hinge ejected on the bottom. As illustrated in our 680 review
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/jornada680/
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2004-12-27 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes, and to add to what Chris is saying, the only thing a "e" model does'nt have when compared to a J680 is a built in Modem, thats it...the only diffrence.....Steve
 Top of the page
brockman
brockman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 11:45 PM
#
didnt wanna start a new topic on this

I just bought a 680e, but i see no where to put a compact flash card... i see pictures where it slides under the PC Card.

a paper that came with it says
device modifications:
-audio buttons not included
-stabilizer not included
-compact flash card slot is not accessible

so im guessing that i can unscrew the bottom off, and ill find a place to plug in a CF card?

and is there any other use for a cradle then to look pretty?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes, you're guessing right

no, the cradle has no use at all...
except if it's a jornada 720 cradle with usb... if the 680 supports that.. i doubt it... ?
 Top of the page
brockman
brockman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 1:35 AM
#
awesome.

christ... wierd screws...

any idea where i can buy that screwdriver pack?

accessories not included in the box:
-cradle
-name plate
-screw-driver pack
-sync cable
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

in order to completel disassemble the J680 you'll only need a T5 or T6 screwdriver, that'll take charge of EVERY screw in the body. The motheboard bolts are stuff apart, the may be unscrewed by using a (don't know how are those called, english is not my mother tongue) clamp-like tool... god bless the Berlitz translator, i've just found out what the name for such a tool is: tweezers!!! now i know how are those called!!! i'm happy. sorry 'bout that, i just couldn't hold it.

well anyway. what i was writing about. in summary you'll need 2 tools in order to completely dissect the j680
- T5 | T6 scredriver
- tweezers (small ones)

Hope this helps

PS i believe you can find the aforementioned screwdriver in any hardware store, just ask for a T5 or T6 torx screwdriver. i've seen a Truper pack with many kinds (philips, flats, torx, allen) and in small sizes. Try Home depot

Edited by matrixcore 2005-03-30 2:05 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-30 6:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

T6 is the tool you desire. These threads may be useful:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=705&posts=24
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=614&posts=9

Thanks for not starting a new thread.
 Top of the page
satviewer2000 Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 12:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just successfully installed a CF (256M) into my Jornada 680e, purchased from TigerDirect (the "Dutch Rail" model).

You have to remove the "false bottom" by taking out 4 screws using a "Torx" screwdriver. These are available in many computer toolkits, as I found one just the right size in my old toolkit for my computer.

Once disassembled, you will see the "true" bottom of the 680e. You have to then pull upwards on the CF slot, while holding the front gray plastic "latch". The slot should pop upwards and then you can plug in your CF card.

Of course you can also get the PCMIA/CF adapter and use that without disassembling the 680e, but that would be wasting a slot.

When you open the 680e, you'll notice that there are several "solenoid" controls on the left side. Obviously these are the external audio controls, which for some strange reason, have been covered up in this model? I'm not sure if they are even active, but then, why have solenoids there if they don't use them???
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

brockman - 2005-03-29 11:45 PM

I just bought a 680e, but i see no where to put a compact flash card... i see pictures where it slides under the PC Card.

I read your posts. You probably have a custom 680e set up for the Dutch Railways. If you got yours from tigerdirect.com, it probably looks brand new. Several members of this group bought one and they reported theirs looked new. I bought one and I am happy with it.

We found that the CF slot is there and it works. Just remove the custom bottom. It makes the 680 thicker & unstable anyway. Do not worry about the screws. We found they do not seem necessary. If you insert even one of the short screws near the front you will end up with strange keyboard problems. Home Depot is an excellent place to get a small (quality Husky) Torx driver set for under $5.00... If you do not have a Home Depot near you, you can order a set from the Home Depot site. If your Depot staff talk like they do not know what a Torx is, they carry them in the "Tool Cage". It is a hanging card item. A hardware manager told me the Husky Torx is a chain wide stock item.

To open the CF slot, just lift up the latch on one end of the black box on the bottom of your 680 and press your thumb on the corner as indicated in the picture on the box.

You will discover on removal of the bottom that the external audio buttons are missing. No matter. The speaker is crummy anyway & you can operate it from the keyboard. It reminds me of a speaker-mic I got with a book card from Franklin Books. I could not make out my own memos, the sound was so poor. I just covered the button holes with a strip of olored duct tape to keep dirt out. One member here carefully removed the Dutch Railway logo from the custom bottom and glued it over the audio area.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

can you install the CF card and then reassemble the case? Or does the CF card stick out too much to allow that? Thanks.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 4:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wsanders - 2005-04-04 3:26 PM

can you install the CF card and then reassemble the case? Or does the CF card stick out too much to allow that? Thanks.

If I correctly understand what you are asking, the answer is yes; You can push the pop out CF slot back into the black box and replace the custom bottom. I used my custom Dutch Railway 680e that way for a while, until I decided to permanently remove the bottom. You can insert your CF card & then replace the custom bottom (base plate) and use the PCMCIA slot. I bought an $8 CF card adpater from Tiger so I can use the PCMCIA slot for CF cards. The adapter limit is 256MB.

A problem with the custom bottom is it makes the open 680e unstable. Just touch it and the device will roll over. It makes it rather difficult to work with on a table or desktop.

The bottom is not needed and neither are the screws that hold it on. In fact, if you put one of the short screws in a certain hole you may experience keyboard malfunction. Certain keys will not work and you may get long lines of letter 'I' --I think it was.

I thought I was going to be returning my unit to Tiger, until I realized the problems did not begin until after I reinserted the two shorter screws from the custom bottom into the original bottom. I removed them and my keyboard problem was gone.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
wsanders Page Icon Posted 2005-04-11 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks bruisedquasar:

I've installed a 16MB type I CF card I had lying around and it fits fine into the slot. My original concern was whether the Dutch Rail custom bottom cover would go back on once the CF card was inserted - it was not clear from the diagrams whether the cover would close completely once the card was inserted. The answer is that it does.

For all you people asking about the bottom screws - they are Torx #6, widely available. Torx bits are expensive, but you run the risk of stripping the screws if you use a random phillip driver or something. My local electornics superstore had a "cell phone screwdriver"with the #6 bit for $4.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12