x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP620 LX Wireless Setup w/Orinco Silver Card

nukarim Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Alright well let me give everyone some history of what I got on my hands. I bought a 620lx off of ebay, and now looking to make it wireless. I first did some research to see which cards would work with the 620lx. After reading many different threads online users said to buy an Proxim Orinco 11b client PC Card. So I went ahead and bought one of off ebay for $30. (model # 8421-WD (IEEE 802.11b PC-Card). Well im not very smart when it comes to these small portable palm gadgets, so I'm hoping someone can help me step by step in setting this up with my home wireless network. I posted before as a guest and user "CE Geek" help me get this far.

"This card is listed in this site's Hardware Compatibility List. Go to the home page of this site, click on "Hardware & Accessories," and once you enter the HCL, click on "Wireless Network Cards" on the right-hand side of the screen. Then scroll down the list to find your card. Click on "Notes & Downloads" right under the name of the card, and you will see driver links there, including one for CE 2.0. "

I got far as what user "CE Geek" listed above. Now do I just need to download the driver for CE 2.0? And will that automatically setup my hp, or do I need to configure it some more after it installs? Thanks!!!

Q: Is the led on the card suppose to light up even if it isnt setup?

Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 12:59 AM
#
Well I setup my HP620LX just recently to work with my LAN. Mine is a wired system though, but the basics for setting up any kind of network with the 620 I think would be the same regardless.

Yes, you absolutely need the correct CE2.0 driver for your network card. You will also need to install the network service pack for Windows CE 2.0 which can be found on this site, here....

Windows CE 2.0 Network Service Pack

I also strongly recommend you install Windows CE 2.0 Service Pack 1 which is also on this site, found here....

Windows CE 2.0 Service Pack 1

I also doubt any of the LEDs on your network card will light apart from just a power on LED (if it has one) until the 620 fully recognises the card, and that won't happen before you install the driver for it as an absolute minimum, and even then probably not until there is a link to the base. Further configuration will be site specific to the rest of your wireless network setup but if you manage to get this far, then you are practically home.

Edited by Britty 2006-03-13 1:08 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 2:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the addendum, Britty. I shoulda mentioned NSP and SP1.

Unless I'm mistaken, the default settings for the driver include WEP encryption off and obtaining the IP address via DHCP, so once the driver is installed, it should be plug-and-play assuming that your router is DHCP enabled. So once the driver is installed, just plug in the card and wait for the light. (It could take as long as a couple of minutes the first time, so be patient.) If it doesn't connect, then you have to enter the IP address manually. Your router's user guide (or your Internet service provider if it supplied the router to you when you signed up for Internet service) can explain what IP address entries you should make. (These entries are made on your 620LX in Start -> Settings -> Network.)

It seems a little complicated at first, but after that it gets much easier.
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 12:44 PM
#
i did everything...but the darn lights dont come on. i installed the proper drivers, service packs, etc... In my "remove program properties" here is what is listed :

HPC Factor Handheld PC 2.0 Network SP
Lucent Technologies WaveLan
Microsoft Handheld PC 2.0 SP 1
Win CE 2.0 Network

Am I missing anything?

Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 12:47 PM
#
oh yea and my router is DHCP enabled. Another quick question when inserting the card into the slot it brings up the following box.

"Unidentified PC Card Adapter"
Enter the name of the driver for this PCCard"
Driver Name: " "

do i need to enter something in that box? if so what should I type?

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 1:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 2.00 driver name is: wvlan46.dll

Additionally there is another version of the driver, a 4.04 build in the HCL which may oor may not aid you if you have problems after this.

I would also like to urge you to log-in when posting.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Guest - 2006-03-19 6:44 PM

i did everything...but the darn lights dont come on. i installed the proper drivers, service packs, etc... In my "remove program properties" here is what is listed :

Win CE 2.0 Network

Am I missing anything?

what is this "Win CE 2.0 Network" - can you try it without it?
 Top of the page
nukarim Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 5:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2006-03-19 1:02 PM

The 2.00 driver name is: wvlan46.dll

Additionally there is another version of the driver, a 4.04 build in the HCL which may oor may not aid you if you have problems after this.

I would also like to urge you to log-in when posting.

when i type in "wvlan46.dll" i get the following message

WAVELAN: Install_Driver PnpId
Agere_Systems-Wireless_PC_Card_Model_0110-C4ED Regpath
wvlan46.dll RegSize 256

thanks for all of yalls help!
 Top of the page
nukarim Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2006-03-19 2:04 PM

Win CE 2.0 Network

Am I missing anything?

not sure how it go on there. but i did remove it. but nothing has changed. the two leds on the card havent come on.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nukarim - 2006-03-19 11:48 PM

cmonex - 2006-03-19 2:04 PM

Win CE 2.0 Network

Am I missing anything?

not sure how it go on there. but i did remove it. but nothing has changed. the two leds on the card havent come on.

hard reset, then install: SP1, NSP, Lucent wavelan driver. in this order. then insert card & soft reset.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 6:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The Network bit is there because part of the Old CE2 driver contains some of the parts of the NSP (but not all), so basically it's double installing.
The message you are is expected from that driver. It means that you have the correct driver name. Is the adapter lighting up when you hit enter to the driver name?

There is more coverage on this here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3710&start=1&highlight=Install%5FDriver+PnpId&highlightmode=1
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9