x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Adding new programs to a Jornada 690 without a PC connection...

Image911 Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

In the words of the King of Siam to Anna, "...It's a Puzzlement...!"

(Okay, so it ISN'T the same thing - without Yul Brynner saying it to Constance Towers - with that great music in the back ground, but - this will have to do.)

Allow me to explain.

One of our firefighter medics has a Jornada 690. It works like a dream for him - save that it just won't connect via serial cable (and ActiveSync OR Remote Networking). Oh, the little gem DOES know when a connection is being made, it just won't keep it!

Very frustrating.

The gentleman wishes to install a wireless card he purchased, only - he can't install the necessary program to access it.

Now, I know that there is a way to open and run Cab Files on the device... I jsut don't remember how it is done. Anyone have any suggestions.

We do have access to numerous healthy-sized CF card drives, so the files could be stored and run from that source.

Please - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to respond here - in the Forum, so others can have access to the material and information, too.

Thank you for your kind consideration!

Sincerely,

Sandy Korda
FIRE-RESCUE
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-01-06 12:58 AM
#
H/PC Elite

1.- copy the cab files from the host pc to th CF card
2.- open the CF card in the HPC
3.- doble-click in the .cab file (it will get deleted after the installation, however, if you flag it read only you prevent this from happening)

Note: most programs do not include the .cab files standalone, for they come with an installer that in turn launches Activesync's "Add/Remove Programs" Dialog. But that doesn't means they have no cab files, just that they move them to another location in your PC and they're copied from that new location to the HPC.

That path where the .cab files lie is where you installed ActiveSync, if you used activesync's defaults it should be
c:\program files\microsoft activesync\

if you explore that dir, you'll find subdirs with the name of the programs you've installed and that show up in ActiveSync's "Add/Remove Programs" dialog.

Let's say it's smalltweak the program you're trying to install, then the folder will be
c:\program files\microsoft activesync\tillanosoft smalltweak

open it and you'll find various cab files, copy the one with the letters "sh3" to the CF card, for SH3 is the processor architecture of the 690. then open the card in the HPC and enjoy!

hope this helps, if there's any question about my explanation i'll be glad to answer
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-06 10:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sandy,

We have two relevent guides on the support section that cover CAB extraction and CAB installs. If you're not desperate to avoid installing the app on a host in the first place 98% of the time you wont have a problem.

I may also aready have an inflated version of the driver, if you let me know what the NIC is I'll check the server archive.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0049.asp
&
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0047.asp
 Top of the page
Image911 Page Icon Posted 2005-02-19 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Greetings! And, thanks for th suggestions!

I'll try and see if we can still get some programs to load, once I attempt to copy CAB files from the ActiveSync sub directory (on my PC) to a smart card, and they try to access and activate those files on the 690.

I actually DID try and do the above with DOOM, and a few other games... but it may not have successfully transfered/installed the actual drivers for the games.

I'll report back my findings and results.

Sandy
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 2:50 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Installing Doom is not just out-of-the-box job. It takes some additional steps; your choice was not a good one for a beginner
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11