x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Infared on laptop

jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-06-21 6:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I recently got a laptop and I am in the middle of a move so all my computer cables and everything is on its way to my new home. I would like to activesync via infared but my computer won't see it. I think it is set up correctly on my computer. i.e. system properties and in the bios. I set the pc link on my j720 and point it directly at the infared port and the computer doesn't see it. When I go through the wizard on activesync it says infared port not installed. I am really good with computers and should be able to do this myself but for some reason I am stumped. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 8:59 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What OS does your PC use?
What settings have you enabled in the BIOS for the IrDA?
Is the Infrared Section active in device manager?
 Top of the page
jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 9:13 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I use XP. In the bios it says enabled and no other options. In device manager it is listed on infared devices. It says it is in normal working order
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 9:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The BIOS needs to be told that the port is SIR or FIR, for FIR it needs resource allocation too
Uninstall and reinstall ActiveSync 3.8
 Top of the page
jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 9:42 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

there is no way to change that. I checked in the bios again and it only had the resource settings.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 9:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If it had IRQ resource settings, it is probably hard coded to be a FIR port. See: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0017.asp if you want to know what I'm talking about.

You might also want to try this: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0024.asp after you have removed and reinstalled ActiveSync 3.8.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 12:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

"FIR and VFIR are not supported by current generation Handheld PC devices." except the mobilepros
 Top of the page
Derek.HPCManiac
Derek.HPCManiac Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 12:19 PM
#
Mobile Pros uses FIR (Fast Infra Red) and VFIR (Very Fast Infra Red), the only that accept 4Mbps of speed I Like this very much!
 Top of the page
jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-06-22 12:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

well the device manager lists it as FIR but I have an two options to change the reciever type. One is labeled A and the other B. I tried different options even the one that said SIR transciever. But still not working
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 7:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-06-22 5:12 PM

"FIR and VFIR are not supported by current generation Handheld PC devices." except the mobilepros
Oh please, (and for the benefit of Derek.HPCManiac too) the IBM z50 and the 820 have FIR hardware on them, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to ActiveSync - the posters question.

Holding no relevancy to the posters original question (J720) or the CESD, which summarises ACTIVESYNC connectivity in the IrDA stack. In order to use FIR you need an application capable of addressing the port using a FIR capable protocol independent of the restricted RemNet (e.g. IrObeX CE, Total Commander (I presume)).

I'd appreciate not going off-topic, and the negating and desisting of the flow of such 'on the contrary' posts.

jmztaylor,

How are you getting on with this, have you made any progress since you last dropped by?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 8:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm sorry, i didn't assume it would be a problem to handle the topic a little more freely. it happens many times everywhere, and you didn't comment on it. also, i never believed in *too strictly* adhering to rules. doesn't make the world better.
anyway, sad that you think it was just an "on the contrary" remark.
 Top of the page
jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 10:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

No I am still stuck without infrared activesync but I got the cradle so it able to know. But it still bothers me about the infrared. I would like to figure it out
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11