x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

REQ: (CAN) grayscale hpc, CE2.0 or higher

esw Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, I'm looking for a hpc to be used as an email machine for my mom. It specifically has to be grayscale because I want to be able to completely turn off the backlight, and I think this is possible with grayscale screens. (I'm thinking of the B&W palm models with no backlight - I assume early CE machines look the same with the backlight turned off.)

Thanks!
-Eric
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 10:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You will probably like the HP 360LX... I have one, it works great .. It has a CF slot one one side and PCMCIA slot on other side... It is powered by the good-ole AA batteries, which I like... What kind of email does your mom use? Also, there are wifi and ethernet cards avaliable for internet, and of course modem...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-07-02 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

What about the Alphasmart Dana wireless? It's Palm not HPC, but it has a fullsize keyboard, wide greyscale display, and should do email just fine (according to its website). Not cheap though.

http://www.alphasmart.com/products/dana-w.html
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-04 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why is the dana any good..... a hpc is much better and cheap

esw, yes you can turn off the backlight. but if you want to use wlan you'd be better off (in terms of battery life) with a colour hpc with a li-ion battery.

Edited by cmonex 2006-07-04 8:14 PM
 Top of the page
esw Page Icon Posted 2006-07-05 12:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the tips everyone!
I know the particular HPC's I'm looking for are kind of an odd niche: new enough to support wifi cards, old enough to have a B&W screens - though I saw quite a few on the hardware list here on hpcfactor, they're mostly rare on ebay. So I think we'll go with an Apple messagepad or emate, which seem quite common and cheap, as well as doing what I want. The dana looks worth checking out too, though.

The reason I wanted a B&W screen is that computer screens of any kind seem to aggrevate my mom's dizzyness (it's some kind of inner ear problem), so I'm hoping one that emits no light but just reflects it (a grayscale lcd with the backlight off) would be best, and at least let her read emails. I myself enjoy my mp780 very much, though.
So I guess as far as hpcbay I'll close my 'request' thread.. but thanks agian for the suggestions and help
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-05 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, many BW hpc's can do wlan. only requirement is that the unit runs CE 2.0 at least.

you just need to have to sit close to an outlet to have AC power
 Top of the page
alexquant Page Icon Posted 2006-07-06 9:28 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2006-07-06 1:18 AM

well, many BW hpc's can do wlan. only requirement is that the unit runs CE 2.0 at least.

you just need to have to sit close to an outlet to have AC power

Yes, I managed to get WiFi working on an HP320LX with the WinCE 2.0 upgrade ROM once I installed the "Service Pack 1" and then "Network Service Pack" :

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/ce20/sp1/
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/ce20/nsp/

Edited by alexquant 2006-07-06 9:30 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10