x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about Jornada 680E

« Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... Next »
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 7:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Anyone have a problem getting Active Sync to recognize there is a J680 connected to the serial port? I tried AS 3.8 installed on a Win XP Dell and I tried changing the COM from "auto" to COM 3 & COM 1. AS 3.8 did something strange. When I made a change, it reported different COM... Which ever one I selected, AS reported as if that COM did not exist! It did report that I have a single serial port.

I also found that I had to shut down my virus scanner (Norton), which I never had to do before, Spy scanner--all my security software--to unfreeze Active Sync 3.8 installation and get it installed. I had all security off when I tried to get AS to find & recognize the J680.

I tried AS 3.5 on a Compaq running Win ME. I had to use a serial converted that changed the HP cable to the old round version, as the Compaq has a female RS-232 port. I will get a gender changer from Radio Shack tomorrow

Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I bought a Viking 256MB CF & a i dot Connect PCMCIA to CF adapter from Tigerdirect.com, under $10 each. Both work hassle free with the J680e. I have the Dutch railways model. The CF slot is still there under the easily removed custom base plate. I placed the Viking card in the CF and it works fine.

...Now if I can get the secret hand shake I need to get Active Sync to recognize I have a 680 connected!!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 9:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I received my Jornada today WOOHOO I used the latest version of active sink for my device 3.8 no problems at all. I don't have the wifi card yet but hope I will have it tomorrow.
If you are having a hard time connecting to your computer try and push the USB in all the way. My system would not recognize my device until I pushed it just a little further.
maybee that will help, let me know
 Top of the page
historian Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 12:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi! I am very new to your very informative forum. I too am having trouble connecting the Jornada to my Dell XP computer. Active sync 3.8 does not recognize the device. Just to experiment, I installed Active sync 3.0 (which came with the Jornada) on my Windows 98 Toshiba laptop and tried to connect it. Also no luck. All the plugs and adaptors were very hard to connect (maybe they are old/ corroded or something?)and I pushed them in as far as they would go. I thought that because both the computers could not connect, there might be something wrong with the cable. I am upgrading from a Compaq 120c, so the Jornada is a new experience for me. I am puzzled. Can anybody help?
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 12:54 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I run ActiveSync 3.8 on XP Pro and haven't had a problem (though I too didn't push the cable into the Jornada far enough the first time). I started out with 3.5 as this was what was recommended on HP's site then upgraded after reading C:Amie recommendation that all users upgrade to 3.8.

As I haven't had any trouble, all I can do is guess. Have you checked your hardware manager for device conflicts? Also have you tried disabling your virus/spy stuff then setting 3.8 to auto?
 Top of the page
historian Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 1:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Lensman, thank you for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it. Let's hope the Jornada and the Dell will now be on speaking terms!
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 1:35 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

You're welcome. Since there's now two of you with the same problem, I thought I'd also look around a bit. Here's some solutions that have worked for other Dell owners running 3.8:

1. Look for a file named picviewSync.dat in your Windows directory. If you find it, delete it. That may fix the problem. This is a file used by Resco products that's a database to stores information for the picture viewer. The file will be recreated later if needed.

2. If you're using a firewall, make sure you granted permission to ActiveSync applications since firewall will usually block the ports required by ActiveSync for communication. You'll need to provide full access (server access) to wcescomm.exe and wcesmgr.exe. More on this can be found here:

http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/symatec-firewall.htm

3. You can try uninstalling ActiveSync, reboot your desktop computer, then reinstall ActiveSync.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lensman 2005-03-10 1:50 AM
 Top of the page
historian Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 6:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Lensman, thanks again for your suggestions. I will give them a try.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 8:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Are you sure your on the right port? Mine didnt connect right away. Had to use the other serial port. Had to set for Com Port 2. Usually Com Port 3 is your Modem.
Speaking of AS 3.8, I changed the connection setting to use my Ethernet. Keeps looking for the Com Ports and USB. And Bothe are Unchecked. The only way I can connect is through the AS on the 680.
Chris

Edited by ESCAPEMAX 2005-03-10 8:17 AM
 Top of the page
mysticshopgirl Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 11:26 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I'm new to the board, new to Jornada, and new to PDA's altogether...so I'm very frustrated!! LOL!!

I bought the 680e from overstock.com and it is fine...cept it took me a while to be able to record audio and the battery was dead as a doornail when it came in the mail.

HOWEVER, I now have a Viking 256 compact flash card and have NO IDEA how to install it...so I read your post and I thought...okay...I'm going to ask him.

And, FYI, I could not get my computer to recognize my Jornada until I upgraded to Windows XP...it would not work with 98.

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 12:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Welcome Mystics!

check the other threads. You most likely need to access the CF slot at the bottom *after* removing the custom baseplate.
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 1:28 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Welcome to the forum!

I didn't know overstock.com ever sold them. If your 680e is like the ones Tiger Direct is selling, you have an additional bottom plate over real bottom that's covering the CF slot. C:Amie posted a picture of this bottom plate earlier in this thread:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=566&start=46

This plate is attached by four small silver screws. You will need to use a size T6 Torx screwdriver (available at Home Depot (cheapest), Sears, or Radio Shack) or a small hex/allen wrench to unscrew these. The plate will come right off.

You will now see the CF slot and can install your card following the instructions in the HP manual. You can then replace the plate or, if you don't mind the holes where the audio buttons are missing, you can actually leave this plate off and use the shorter screws to fill the empty screw holes in the real bottom. But don't put one in the corner screw hole in the front of the unit - it's too long.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 4:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Lensman and everyone else who chipped in for me. THANKS! I did not have the serial connector far enough into the 680. I carefully taught my wife, children and many others I made computer literate to never, ever, force anything computer! This is precision stuff, if you gotta force it, you are doing something wrong, upside down, wrong place, whatever. Over 24 years and this is a first for me!

I thought it strange that the end stuck out so far but I never had to and I was not going to break my rule! After Lensman and others told me here that they had a problem until they tried forcing the connector, I tried it. Sure enough, it went in another 1/4 inch. I was ready to try Infrared!

Thankyou!

Lensman, promised I would keep you posted about the Serial to USB conversion. I bought the Radio Shack model #26-183 and it works like a charm! I connect the 680e via USB on the Compaq notebook (Win ME) and the Dell XP Pro. No problem and faster speed! It also gives me more cord to work with as the Radio Shack adapter is 6' The last few versions of ActiveSync was primarily about USB capability. The Radio shack adapter serial end is male so you don't even need a gender changer. I am using AS version 3.8
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Glad to hear it helped.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 4:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I went to Sears Hardware today. They sell the T6 Micro Screwdriver loose. Only runs $2.99. Its a "Proffesional" and has a longer blade. But I purchased a 4 in 1 for $10. Had the T6, #00, and 2 small Flat Heads. Using the same handle. Just change the tip. Extras store inside the handle.
Also had the 12 Piece standard set. That runs $20
Chris
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 17