x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Will this card work? its not in the HCL list

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 8:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

When a Card doesn't ask for a driver name, it means that the Driver installer has not been written correctly, not necessarily that they aren't working.
Most manufacturers never script the installer correctly so the user gets bugged for a driver name.

If you installed the drivers which came with it then chances are that they were correctly written. If you were installing a WL100 crack and it didn't then chaces are the card isn't.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 1:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually I first plugged it in with only the CF driver installed, and it did ask for the driver name. So I clicked Cancel and pulled the card.
Then I uninstalled the CF driver, installed the correct driver, then plugged it in and it didn't ask for driver name. BTW the driver is downloaded from Linksys website; the CD doesn't have WinCE driver.

It's no big deal anyway. It's just that less technical users (normal people, non-geeks) would have no official way to know what name to type in when asked. We either figured it out ourselves (I did) or found the answer from unofficial support - such as CESD of course!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-23 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Another update:
I figured out the problem of establishing a connection at home. Apparently there are 2 to 3 other APs in the neighborhood that are ALL on channel 6. So I switched my own AP to channel 11, and I have no problem anymore.

I didn't have to do this for my CF card; so it could be that the WPC11 has a longer range, which unfortunately uncovers the problem of too many APs in the same channel.

Also I have had no problem with hotspots out there.

So I'm very happy with this card at the moment. I'll give it another week or so for the final verdict...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-24 3:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Just a few more bits of info:

The CE driver isn't officially supported, but at least it's there to use "at your own risk". It is rare to even have official CE driver on these cards, so I'm happy.
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=780

According to this page, the original WPC11, ver 2.5, and ver 3 use the Intersil PRISM 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 chips respectively. And ver 4 uses a Realtek chip:
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Client_5fAdapters_5f802_5f11b

More info in the CESD:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0007.asp

Hope these help people decide rather to buy this card
 Top of the page
eagle16nam
eagle16nam Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 2:51 AM
#
the proxim ORiNOCO works 100%!! no problems at all!! i had to install the agere drivers and i started up internet explorer and aol messenger and it works like a charm
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 3:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, over 2 weeks has passed, and altho I've been busy with a lot of stuff, I did get to use my Jornada and this card now and then. So it's time to do that final verdict:

I think my new avatar says it. It is indeed much better than my old WCF12 because now I don't worry about bending it (at least not as much). And as I said before, it looks great, with its color matching the 728's base, and now I notice even the Linksys logo is a good match to the 728's blue decorations.

As for performance, I do take back what I said. It is no worse than the WCF12, maybe even better in terms of range. I used to be able to affect the CF card's signal strength simply by orienting the device differently, or resting my hands close to it. Not so with the WPC11; the signal remains mostly unaffected by the device or my hands. I have not noticed a difference in battery consumptions either, which is a good thing.

For anyone with a Jornada 728, I *highly* recommend this card. It looks great and works great, plus you can use MiniStumbler. I think it should be similar for the 720, and some of those owners have also had success with this card, altho I do not know how well the colors would match up

However, some users with different devices, such as j6xx and MP7xx, have had issues setting this up. I do not know if it's because of the hardware, the OS version, the driver compilation, or other specific issues of the user or their network. So for owners of other HPC models, I would suggest this card only if you can return it, in case it doesn't work for you.
 Top of the page
Jornada Queen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 9:37 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well, same question but different product. TigerDirect has an "A-Data 1GB Compact Flash Card" for $59.99, which allegedly supports 16 bit transfers. I didn't see this on the HCL list. A few months ago I spoke to someone at Tiger, and they didn't have any 16 bit cf cards then. They must have remembered my complaining-ha!.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1510745&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Has anyone tried these yet? IF so, any problems with them?

Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 10:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

eheh. every CF card will work, don't worry. just buy it and that's it.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 12