x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 5:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I know there is an update to help this unit with battery life and PCMCIA cards. I cant seem to find it, could anyone help as im trying to use a PCMCIA>CF adaptor and its sucking my battery life down in less than an hour.

-Walt B
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 5:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Also my HP360LX suddenly gets NO battery life. I mean maybe 7 hours ? If that. Ive tried different types of batteries etc and nothing seems to work right. Is there a patch for this unit as well ? Im using a CF>SD adaptor in it and i was curious if using a PCMCIA to CF might get better battery life ?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 8:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

If you haven't already for the A11 and 360LX:
All Windows CE 2.0 H/PCs must have the following done
Install
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200228/windows_ce_20_service_pack_1/
then soft reset
Install
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200229/network_service_pack_nsp_for_windows_ce_20/
^Above is theoretically optional if you're not using network

then soft reset again
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 8:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

OK. THank you so much !. I knew there was a fix but i had no memory of how i fixed it back in the 90s when i originally owned one. Do i need to connect it to a PC to do this ? Or can i run the .CAB file on my actual unit ? And then soft reset.

Edited by WallyB110 2024-01-28 8:16 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 9:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You can copy both update CAB files to the CF card and they should be able to be installed on device.
Let us know if it works!
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 10:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Im waiting on a new USB C card reader as my old one bit the dust. So once i get that, i can install that on both units. Thanks so much, ill def respond with my results. :-)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 10:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

No worries! I hope everything works.

In the meantime if you have a serial cable / infrared and a machine running windows 95-XP you can also try syncing with active sync for the service packs. Otherwise yeah the cf card method with cabs should work too
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 10:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well i was able to do it with my SD card into CF adaptor on the 360LX. Still waiting on PCMCIA reader and adaptor for the Casio. But it installed correctly 100%. Hopefully this helps with my battery consumption. I know these last longer then what ive been getting and as i said ive tried lots of different batteries with no change in result. :-(

But we shall see, a fresh set of batteries is in it and fingers crossed this worked.

I will update you guys on the Casio once i get the CF>PCMCIA adaptor.

THANK YOU!!!
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-28 10:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Also one more question. I got some recharable Alkaline batteries and i have what they say is an Alkaline charger for it, but after 10 hours the batteries are still not charged and are very warm. Ive tried a few different chargers as well. Anyone know where i can find the right charger ?

Because i have 8 of these AA rechargeable Alkaline's but no way of charging them (at least to my knowledge, i wouldnt think the batteries would get that warm and not be charged. Or maybe rechargeable Alkaline's take a lot of time to charge ?

If anyone has experience please do let me and many thanks again.

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-01-29 12:36 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

To be perfectly honest I don’t have any experience but just to clarify for someone else to answer:
Are you trying to charge them with them inside the windows ce handheld or are you charging them outside of the device with one of those external chargers ?
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2024-01-29 12:36 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have had great experience with the Panasonic Eneloop rechargable batteries and the matching charger.

I don't know if the Panasonic charger is sold in the USA but the one I purchased from Japan was 100-220v. BQ-CC21 (that is about a decade old).
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-01-29 12:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also about the CF/SD card make sure you have it formatted to the correct cluster size for optimum compatibility with CE2.0

Here’s some articles for you

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200061/compact_flash_cf_cards_and_handheld_pcs/
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200205/maximum_supported_memory_card_file_sizes_under_windows_ce/

For CE 2.0 it needs to be 2Gb or smaller total size fat 16 file system with 32kb maximum cluster size
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-29 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Elite

NO i am using a separate charger that says its for these batteries.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-29 1:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Im using a 512mb SD card that is formatted correctly like you mentioned. The card works etc, its just weird the battery life is this low. Im wondering if i got a bad cap somewhere. But i didnt have the SP1 cab. I did install it on kmy 360LX like i mentioned.

But ive tried rechargable Ni-Cad, Nimh. (Like they recommend in the manual.)
Alkaline (standards), Alkaline rechargables, LION non rechargables. And the unit seems to not last 3-4 hours :-(.
Im speaking of my 360LX. I use to get a week out of this and now its a day 1/2 or so. But the SD to CF adaptor i have which now that im thinking of it, is a WIFI, SD to CF adaptor. So that is killing my battery if the wifi is indeed automatically running.

So now that i think of it, i need to try popping just a standard CF card in and see what the battery life is. DOH!

I just need to wait for my PCMCIA adaptor to try this as well on the A-11. But the A-11 has NO cards in it as of now. Its getting much better battery life than the 360LX. For sure.

Well thanks yall. Now i think i discovered whats making the 360LX battery short. Combo of i didnt have SP1 cab installed and im using a wifi/SD to CF adaptor. I bet the wifi is killing the battery life for sure. But with out you all, id have been stumped on this for awhile hahah.

Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-01-29 1:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

OK as i said i was able to get the SP1 update to work on my 360LX. I figured i could send the .cab file to my Compaw thru irda. So i got the file on the Casio A-11 and it says "Its not a valid windows CE service setup file. But it worked on my HP360 LX no prob... Help
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 31